The Politics Thread

• Members

So Mexico is already taking action on the potential to hurt our agricultural market. They are pursuing purchasing corn from Brazil. Corn according to this article is the US's biggest agricultural export.

I no longer think it's going to take a couple of years to tank the economy. These ICE raids will scare migrant workers away from working in the fields, leaving crops unpicked, there is a drought that is going to continue in the Imperial Valley. Produce prices are going to go up. THis administration is going to be allowed to crash the economy while members of his party look the other way and claim they had nothing  to do with it. Good luck to all those "economically challenged" workers who were allegedly suffering. It's just going to get worse. Particularly since there are no manufacturing jobs to come back.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/13/news/economy/mexico-trump-us-corn/

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think people just don't understand the supply chain. It's easier to scapegoat illegals as being dangerous because so many believe they are taking jobs from them when in reality they help create jobs. It doesn't mean I support illegals, what I do support is an immigration plan which every president since Reagan has been trying to get passed with no luck.

By the way the thread with Mikki Kendall above also talks about how our undergraduate and graduate educational system is going to be hurt tremendously by bans and huge immigration restrictions, because international students foot the bill for the 40k a year tuition so our students can pay less money.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

When you think of how many tech companies and science and engineering start-ups have been created by immigrants who finished their studies at American universities, many deciding to stay and start their businesses here in the last 25 years, it's impossible to see how these industries won't be affected. Many university labs and departments have served as de facto pipeline for tech talent (e.g. Stanford, et al).

I know that NYC was investing heavily to be an East Coast tech 'hub' building extension campuses for schools like Cornell on Governor's Island. Also the Technion Institute of Israel was also investing building an extension campus in NYC, either in conjunction with Cornell or separately but my guess, is that the plan is to attract students from all over the world, as well as locally. 

And even though I thought tuition was still too high for me as a matriculating student who was a U.S. citizen, I learned long ago that my friends who were international students paid a far higher tuition bill than I did.

Then again this administration is prone to act recklessly before thinking of the consequences.

• Members

Sophie is not to be messed with. She is much tougher than anyone gives her credit for. 

The eldest Trump child, Don Jr., has said that he didn't speak to his father for a year after he separated from Ivana. 

Then there is apparent consensus among the three eldest that Ivana raised them, Ivana's parents were instrumental in their childhoods (the oldest son speaks fluent Czech) and that their contact with Donald was limited. Once they were done university, Ivana has said she basically gave the children to Donald saying 'Here is the finished product' and that he built his relationships with them working together. 

The youngest, Eric Trump, seems the most like his mother - a gentler spirit than his two siblings.

Ivana was a very strong woman for a very long time. In some ways I think she has crumbled a little bit as she approaches her 70th birthday. I don't think she has any fight left in her. She and her mother attended the inauguration and had front row centre seats, but had to move because Ivana's mother used a wheelchair. When Ivana heard that Marla Maples was attending an inauguration party she immediately left DC and flew back to Manhattan en route to Paris. I don't think she's got it in her to fight one more second.

• Members

“We’re bringing back jobs big league. We're bringing them back at the plant level, we're bringing them back at the mine level. The energy jobs are coming back,” he continued. “A lot of people going back to work now.” (regarding repeal of transparency rules for oil companies in Dodd-Frank)

I feel that fairytales are very integral to keeping his base happy since his words mean more than his actions.  Maybe someone can explain to me how this is going to bring back jobs.  This sounds like some more trickle down nonsense.  Now that those companies don't have to spend all that money reporting  payments to foreign governments they are going to be able to afford to hire thousands of Americans to do lots and lots of work a the coal mine.  I was thinking they were just going to give the execs bigger bonuses.