The Politics Thread

• Members

Good. I'm happy to see people rewarded for doing the right thing. Their motives don't matter to me at this point.

I do think the motivating force behind the SCOTUS over turning Roe is religion. Only because I don't believe the Republicans can plan their way out of a paper bag. Otherwise I would suspect they are trying to create a permanent underclass of low skilled workers.

Republicans are coming up with so many pro poverty policies.  Forced birth, but no help with food, medical care, childcare or all the other things babies need.  Now with Abbott trying to take education away from undocumented children? What a despicable move. If I were trying to create a dystopia I don't know what I would do differently.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same goes for LGBTQ protections.  Remember North Carolina's hideous "bathroom bill"?  IIRC, the NC legislature was gonna let that stand as it was...until the NBA and other corporations threatened to boycott the state.

Moral of the story?  Money talks, and the rest can go to hell.

• Members

The "bathroom bill" resulted in the NBA relocating the 2017 All-Star Weekend from Charlotte to New Orleans, and the NCAA relocating 2017 March Madness games from Greensboro to Greenville, South Carolina. So there was some consequence that resulted in economic impact to North Carolina.

• Members

Exactly.  Just as "abortion is good for business," per @marceline, so, too, is legislature that protects the rights of LGBTQ citizens.

Frankly, I've learned not to put too much faith or stock into millennials.

Millennials seem content sitting on the metaphorical sidelines, calling the rest of us "sellouts" for compromising (which is the dirtiest of words to them) and saying we're all the reason why everything has turned to [!@#$%^&*] and nothing in this country (or world) is worth saving or even fixing.  (Nope, says your average (white, upper-middle-class) millennial, it's all gotta be burned down.  Today.  Now.)

Millennials have been raised to believe that they're so gifted and precious in everyone else's eyes that they have an almost pathological disinterest in learning anything about anything that happened before their time.  (I'm still rolling my eyes over the fact that Pete Buttigieg apparently had no idea what "Leave It to Beaver" was - which is minor and inconsequential, but still!).

Millennials loathe us, because we don't flinch and holler and riot at every insensitive joke, and because we believe that one that should actually pay their debts, instead of expecting the government to cancel them.

And those millennials who DO vote (and not just groan and meme about Gen X'ers and boomers, or disrupt otherwise peaceful protests and boycotts, so they can score likes on social media) do it while holding their noses because "he/she isn't Bernie (or AOC)."

So, if it's up to the millennials to save us all?  I'd just as soon go the way of the dinosaur, thank you very much.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ah, but remember: Justice Alito believes the constitution should be interpreted as its' originators intended - which means, the only ones with any rights whatsoever are white, Christian men who own property (including black people).

• Members

The attitude seems to be, "If you don't want to have babies, then don't get pregnant!".

Which would be fine, if human beings actually COULD refrain from having sex (to say nothing, of course, of the cases where the woman or girl is impregnated by their rapist or molestor).  But asking a human being who is at least aware of sex to abstain is like asking me NOT to eat that pint of Baskin-Robbins that I have in my freezer.  I mean, you could ask, but you'd just be wasting your time.