Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Now we have to hope that states can't penalize women for traveling with the intention of getting an abortion.  Suddenly I envision myself trying to get through a checkpoint with a teenage girl in my trunk.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I saw wretched grifter Krystal Ball claiming that the  people behind the  Amazon union  were "Bernie bros." Krystal, of course, is very rich, and likely has no real  use for unions.  It's all about  cannibalizing and capitalizing on them to keep the con going. As soon as I saw Bernie's face everywhere in this I knew it was no longer about the people at the plant or what they wanted  or needed. 

Anyway...

• Members

Not that it's a surprise, but  a thread on what is in the works to strike down same-sex marriage:

It's easier for people to just focus on marriage - it always has been - but never let anyone fool you into thinking that's what this is all about. They do not even want same-sex couples to have hospital visitation rights. They want us dead, and will stop at nothing until we are dead.

• Members

I wasn't sure I wanted to post on this thread, but I will.  I was 30 years old when RoeVWade was decided.  I could tell you so many stories of close friends and relatives who had horrible experiences because they couldn't get medical care for an abortion.  I have had both a live birth child and an abortion.  I am sure, in both cases, I made the right decision, but to say it doesn't haunt me would not be true.  Women don't WANT abortions!!!!  They get them because of their lack of choices.

I had a very good friend who was forced by the baby's father to get an illegal abortion.  I won't tell you all the gory details, but she was left in critical condition and police were called to the hospital and she became part of a very public trial.  The man in this case, was never prosecuted for arranging it and she was left infertile for the rest of her life.  

I could tell you another six more tales, but it doesn't change what is going to happen.  I am SICK TO DEATH about what is happening to women in this country.

• Members

My mother had several experiences with abortion when she was young, and I'm pretty sure well before it was legal. I don't know if all of them involved simple sexual encounters. We haven't talked about it candidly that much; though she is fiercely pro-choice and liberal, she came from a strict Catholic family and suffered abuse from someone outside of the home. She was my first call last night, but I'm thinking of all the women I know.

• Members

Her  cultish devotees online will continue to claim THE ESTABLISHMENT ruined her chances, but she clearly just exists at this point to part fools from their money, and to get free, uncritical press from the dead  end left and their lackeys like Dave Weigel. She  is a proven loser, in every  single way. 

• Members

Me too. I just cannot believe women and girls are going to be forced to give birth. It's completely barbaric. I wonder how many women have been spared a lifetime connection to an abusive man by the ability to get an abortion? I can't really say I'm shocked that it's come to this. It's been clear for a long time that these white christian nationalist see women's bodies as community property. Not that they are the only ones, but they are the most dangerous.

@Ponds I agree. We could have easily reduced abortion if we gave pregnant women more generous benefits, including housing. That's always been obvious, but the cruelty is the point. It comes back to @Khan's point, that these people are obsessed with the myth that everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Meanwhile they add weight to people's backpacks instead of actually lending a hand.

Meanwhile, Ohio elects this jackass.

• Members

I gave up warning others about Mr. Hillbilly Elegy a long time ago.

IDK why, but I just keep thinking of poor Brooke English on AMC.  During her many years on that show, she endured both an abortion after being raped by vile Eddie Dorrance and an ectopic pregnancy (during her brief marriage to Tad Martin) that also resulted in terminating the pregnancy after it nearly killed her.  I can't help but think tonight of all the Brookes who've had to face even one of those traumas, never mind both.  Imagine how much more difficult their situations might have been, had they lived in a country or at a time when they were denied their right to safe and, in many cases, life-saving abortions.

Edited by Khan