Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Reading this reminded me of the time Y&R's Christine and Danny tried to help a "crack mother" see the error of her ways.  I realize Bill Bell and Kay Alden had the best of intentions with that story; nevertheless, something about it has always left a bitter taste in my mouth.

IKR?  I kept expecting to see someone pop up on screen and say, "This is my wreck - and Nina Turner got me my check!".

• Members

Like I said, I'm sure Bell/Alden had the best intentions - and I give them props, too, for not making the "crack mother," Nan, a WOC AND for having the courage to show viewers actual "crack babies" being cared for at the hospital.  But, to me, it also seemed to reinforce some conservative attitudes toward poor women who have the misfortune of becoming pregnant while strung out on a drug that was literally robbing this country of an entire generation in the '80s and '90s.  (And Christine's constantly spouting stats straight outta some pamphlet or textbook didn't help matters either.)

• Members

It has always been my contention that CBS was the most conservative of the networks, particularly during the daytime and Y&R was the most conservative of the daytime dramas. As brilliant as WJB Sr. was in building a brand that created these shows that have endured, I must admit that I believe that him being a straight white man with a wife and children fit the ideal of who CBS wanted to make the face of their daytime serials and promoted as such.

• Members

It is.  I agree.  That's why I used parentheses.  I probably shouldn't have used the term at all, though.

Which is ironic, when you consider how, at least in the beginning, Y&R was very racy compared to other soaps.

Which is why I call bullshit on a certain poster's revelation in another thread that CBS had asked him to create an all-Black soap in '73 or whenever.  No way.  Not in 1973, not at CBS, and definitely not with William J. Bell.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Hm, I would have to see some documented proof on a statement like that.

Had that statement been made about Agnes Nixon that would have been more believable. We already know there were reports that Irna Phillips wanted a daytime soap with a majority Black cast.

To be fair though, it feels like the Reagan years of the mid 1980s could have been when it felt like this push became a thing. And when Y&R became the #1 soap in the late 80s, that further cemented things. Looking back, I do think Y&R got a nice helping of PR to help that drive. Bell being the show’s creator also likely made him appealing in a way that, perhaps, the other show runners weren’t.

Anyway, sorry for taking this thread off topic.

• Members

You must have ESP.

Please register in order to view this content

I will say his humping is a 5 at best. His cowa mumba noise making during it was annoying.

Nice backside but I can see why his wife got bored rather quickly.

I need to move to a more friendly state. Abbott is nuts!! The guy is pure evil.

• Members

I know how crass this sounds but...

...the reality is that being an reproductive rights sanctuary state will be good for the bottom line. 

Abortion is good for business on a lot of levels. That's an economic truth that people don't want to discuss.