Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Countries all over the world have made abortion legal in recent years including Ireland and Mexico and here is the US stepping back.  This is horrible.  This indicates a major shift by force by a minority dictating what the majority has the right to.  I knew this day was coming but now that it's staring, it's just such a monumental shift in how women are valued or not. I know PoC and LGBTQ people have had battles as significant but this feels like an earthquake. For almost all of my life abortion has been something women can decide on for themselves. That will be gone.  And there was a story in WAPO this morning about the GOP crafting legislation top make it illegal nationally.  I'm sick to my stomach.

Oh they're coming for a national law next and then coming for birth control.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

And all the Susie Sarandons and democracy dilettantes are now howling for the courts to be expanded and I would like to know what reality are these fools living in? There was a solution that would most likely have prevented all of this in 2016 but folks wanted to “fück around and find out”. Well, sadly, we’re finding out now, aren’t we?

• Members

They won't.  Many of them do not  give a damn. They won't be affected - they live in very liberal enclaves, they are wealthy due to their parents or grandparents. They will be fine. You will see Brie Brie Joy and friends working hard to focus all efforts on blaming Biden and saying there's no point in voting for either party. 

There are large pressure  campaigns and media campaigns (because the media would kill every single one of us with their bare hands for access to one Trump interview) to go against abortion, birth control, same-sex relationships, etc. This is not just going to be about one or two things. It will be everything. Sodomy laws and any  legal rights between same-sex couples, including hospital visitation or wills, gone soon. likely alongside laws encouraging that openly queer people be fired from their jobs. Birth control. Interracial marriage not far behind. 

This country is likely dead and I just hope people who can leave go while they still can.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Well, I'd certainly say this is a big problem at the intersection of poverty, sex and race. What a nightmare. Just as "we" have decided to roll back the gains in child poverty too.  It's infuriating. I know this is going to negatively affect men too, but it's hard for me to care about that right now.

And yes, they are coming for birth control and same sex rights too. I'm so sick of these fanatics.

• Members

I'm really done hearing about the focus on 'kitchen table issues'.

I knew it was coming, and I don't think the country is dead (yet). But in order to combat this, and roll it back or protect any other crucial rights, serious things are going to have to fundamentally and systemically change with how the Democratic Party actually operates in office with the urgency of the future.

Edited by Vee

• Members

You know...as much as Whoopi Goldberg annoys me, I think she had the right idea long ago: let's take all the children who will now be born to mothers who, for one reason or another, can't raise them, and let's drop 'em off at the household of every person out there who is "pro-life" and let THEM raise 'em.

Agree.

Also agree.

One more time: agree.

• Members

Many of the powerful in the party or those who are powerful enough to be heavily courted are not far off Joe Manchin, who is probably overjoyed right now, when he isn't recording ads for Republicans, anyway:

And sure enough, the media is already  doing what they do best - deflect, distract, crawl up their own asses. We aren't meant to care about how many are going to suffer and die, we are meant to  care about the process and the breaking of precious, prescious DC norms: