Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

How DO you say "no" to a man like Vladimir Putin?  You don't.  Because, you know that if you do, it means the end of everything - your livelihood, your future, your safety and security (and those of your loved ones), everything.  So, what happens?  You learn to look the other way.

• Members

Nukes are like climate change,  The very real threat is always there, but it fades in and out of the front of our minds depending on whatever other threats we are facing in the moment. Like when Trump was president, it's disturbing to think that it only takes one mad man to completely destroy life as we know it.

Like others I hope there is someway out of this mess for Ukraine and innocent Russians.  The only way I can see is buying Putin off somehow, but it's beyond my pay grade to know what he wants. It's disgusting that we have to find a way to appease this man, but with nukes on the table, what other choice is there?

• Members

What he wants is Ukraine, and the resurrection of the Soviet bloc. This isn't about money for him.

I can think of another way out (not nuclear). But if we went there there'd be hell to pay.

Oddly enough, it's beginning to remind me of when the Nazis tried to take Russia in winter. The Russians (as well as other efforts on other fronts) broke them.

• Members

Russia bombed some Ukrainian cities in the past several hours. (the strikes came from rocket-launchers). 

Lots of strikes to the city of Kharkiv.  I don't have the heart to post the videos here. 

The shelling is coming from within Belarus. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Just at the same time that Belarus passed a referendum allowing for nuclear weapons in the country. 

Horrifying. 

I imagine all those people on the left who have gone on about Russia's kindness in not shelling more of Ukraine will find another goalpost to move.

• Members

Switzerland poised to freeze Russian assets, says president.
<snip>
Russians held nearly CHF10.4 billion ($11.24 billion) in Switzerland in 2020, Swiss National Bank data show.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/switzerland-poised-to-freeze-russian-assets--says-president/47386960

Switzerland announces they will refuse to play their Women's Euros (soccer) opener in Manchester because their teams will NOT face Russia 'until further notice', as pressure grows on FIFA and UEFA
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10560069/Russia-Switzerland-announce-refuse-play-opening-game-Womens-Euros.html

You know you've been ostracized when Switzerland is no longer neutral about you.

Update: Swiss government just voted to approve full sanctions on Russia.

Switzerland will now block the assets of 363 individuals and four corporate entities. This includes Russian president Valdimir Putin, Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin and Foreign Minister Sergii Lavrov.  Switzerland followed suit with other European countries in closing its airspace to Russian flights.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzerland-imposes-full-eu-sanctions-against-russia/47388280

Edited by janea4old