Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Prior to 2014, I think Putin enjoyed being a heavy on the world stage. Invited to G20 summits etc, he was given pride of place next to Merkel. Putin was always considered a bit of a gangster, but he was a gangster the West felt it could 'do business with.' The view was that he had to be extra thuggish to bring a lawless 1990s Russia to heel and, later, to blanket-destroy Grozny and Aleppo (among other places). He existed to ensure Russian stability.

Then the invasion of the Crimea happened, and Putin/Russia became a pariah. That's when his stance noticeably hardened towards the West and Russia retreated into isolationism. He felt he had been humiliated by a group of governments he viewed as largely weak and stupid.

French president Macron long argued that Russia should be brought back in from the cold, that the channels of cooperation had to be open to Putin. I didn't disagree with him at the time, but now that Putin has made this move (a move that signals he may not stop at Ukraine), bringing Russia in from the cold looks like a pipe dream. And it is a constant pattern of behavior: Chechnya, Crimea. Not to mention the poisoning of defectors and dissidents in other countries.

As for Xi -- 100% agree. China has studiously avoided taking a position against Putin, and that's not because Xi is VP's ride-or-die. It's because they have the same methods and a similar agenda. With this assault on Ukraine, Putin has again highlighted the 'weakness' of the Western democracies which are following the international rules laid down by the UN and geopolitical treaties. He has threatened the nuclear option so that the West backs off. China can easily do the same with Taiwan and HK. Back off, this is an 'internal' situation, we have nukes, too. I am gravely worried for Taiwan.

Putin has not been able to shut down (yet) demonstrations at home against the war, nor Ukrainians on social media tweeting live events, nor Navalny tweeting his condemnation. I worry he will turn to Xi for the infrastructure of a hardcore dystopian surveillance state.

• Members

Don't forget though that Putin had the tacit approval of a number of Russians who either agreed with his stance on Crimea or just didn't say anything, believing the issue not worth fighting about. Perhaps their opinions were really the only ones that Putin actually cared about to begin with, that he had enough tacit approval of Russia to "swing" the next election. Putin sort of set the bar for the leaders of many Eastern countries being indifferent to what the West really thinks and how they see them. I genuinely believe that Putin doesn't care what the West thinks, I doubt he ever did. Negotiations and summit appearances were a mere tool to him, to either stall or try to maneuver a way to get closer to what he wanted.

For the past five years, the West has paid and continues to pay minimal attention to the African continent but Putin does. Read on Russia's activities in the Congo.

And even parts of West Africa, in countries where the leadership leans autocratic, but weak.

• Members

Ketanji Brown Jackson was always the frontrunner for that SCOTUS nomination. She once clerked for retiring justice Breyer.

Good luck to her in the Senate confirmation hearings. I hope the process will not be nearly as contentious as some have contended. Hopefully there will be enough votes for, at the very least, VP Harris to cast the deciding vote.

Who know? Maybe Murkowski and wishy-washy Collins might want to make a nod toward history, in a good way.

EDT: I meant "Who knows?" Geez!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Interesting article, expressing so much of what I had been thinking about how the Russian people viewed Putin during Crimea vs how they view him now: so many are in shock over the man they thought they knew (but was likely there all along).

When I lived in NYC, I went to a Ukrainian restaurant at least once and it struck me, the number of Russians who had eaten there regularly. There are even a number of Russians who concede that borscht is of Ukrainian origin, though they both love it, it just goes to show what I have felt since the beginning of this emerging conflict between governments- ordinary Russian people do not want this war, as they view Ukrainians as kinfolk. That is why we are finally seeing large crowds out in the streets.