The Politics Thread

• Members

Times like this I miss Ann Richards more and more. There were generations of feisty Texas Democrats who would have shut down the whole, "Blue states tell Texas to go away" mindset. Now the face of Texas is Rick Perry.

I'm surprised at the Republicans who have jumped on Romney for his "gifts" comments. Beyond their welcoming a scapegoat, it also shows you the strong amount of personal dislike bottle up for him in the party.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I love Maine. I hate that these people are giving it a bad name.

I had not thought about this. Welcome, D.C. and Puerto Rico! Puerto Rico is a beautiful island. It would be the prefect new state. As long as we get to keep New Orleans, Louisiana can hit the mean city streets.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I saw a little bit of the ever excited Ed on MSNBC and they put up an abridged version of the Maine GOP chair that said he played basketball (minus the "every Sunday with a black guy"). I just started laughing. I wish he'd elaborated on the whole stray Chinese.

I believe I read earlier that this blue state of Maine had a black population of about 1.3% so I wish he'd also explain how many of them would need to show up to make an impact on that state's election results.

John McCain needs to take a special vacation with Lindsey Graham and their other cohort.

Their conspiracy theory was that David Petraeus' scandal was timed to cover up Benghazi but now he's going to testify so that's out the window.

If, according to Lindsey Graham, Susan Rice suffers from a lack of good judgment what does it say that his rationale for why it's okay that Condoleeza Rice shared spotty intel sounds pretty childish--we weren't the only country that believed it. So the U.S. should make massive errors because other countries do too?

• Members

The only reason I can see for Luke Russert being on NBC/MSNBC is his father.

I didn't watch the video but I read about the story earlier and the issue for me is that he didn't ask the same question to the men. I don't have a problem with asking any of them who have been sitting in Congress for decades if it's not time for some fresh faces. Some of them have been there the entire time passing these bills loaded with pork and playing partisan politics and they're more responsible to me than some of the Presidents that have come and gone while they've been in office, for much of the inefficiency that exists.

• Members

So, I'm curious how my more extreme liberal friends here in the forum will twist this whole Libya thing, ie: lies to the American people about the origin of the attack, the obvious and intentional distortion of facts, etc. I guess really the big question is: are you all satisfied and completely comfortable with the administration's response to all of this and how they have handled it all to date?

• Members

Well I don't know any black people in Maine so according to the laws of GOP reality that means there aren't any. Because according to Republican conventional wisdom the only things that matter are the ones that directly affect me. For example, I've never been on welfare so therefore welfare is a waste. I can afford my contraception so that means everyone can afford their contraception and since I've never personally met a black person from Maine, they don't exist.

• Members

It's posted at HP. Not too long, but what REALLY made him look like an azz was his indignation when she would not at first respond to the question because she and all her colleagues were shocked this snot nosed punk would ask that question. And when she did, with a smile on her face, she started by saying that he never asked Mitch McConnell THAT SAME QUESTION.

You are right on the button. If Tim had not passed away suddenly, he wouldn't be working there. Did he ever major in journalism, because he doesn't seem to have a clue about how to be a journalist.

• Members

Okay... explain to me again why the government bears a responsibility to provide contraception to someone? I mean... I need toothpaste and a toothbrush, too, but that isn't provided. Or is it?

Tampons all around? Where is the line between personal responsibility and nanny-state micromanaging? Seriously. What else should the government provide for us? I have no problem with preventing unwanted pregnancies... I applaud those who decide to use protection rather than abort a fetus as a form of birth control... but come on...

Do contraception giveaways include free condoms for every dude that wants them?

• Members

I don't think Maceline was referring to birth control being free and provided by the government, I think she was talking about the debate of religious owned businesses not wanting birth control covered in their health insruance plans. The position of the administration (Hobby Lobby is the latest in this debate) is that when you run a SECULAR business, you shouldn't deny employees coverage based on your specific religious beliefs. Becae if you did that, a business run by Jehova's witnesses could say they didn't want blood tranfusions covered by their insurers. Soemthing tells me people wouldn't be defending THAT.

• Members

But you know that evil organization Planned Parenthood receives federal funding and you know they do evil things like provide Breast Cancer screening and promote STD prevention.

I always find it amusing that personal responsibility is supposedly the mantra for some except when it comes to women being able to decide how to manage and control their own bodies or Wall Street magnates going bankrupt. Then I guess it's aok having the government stick their noses into people's " personal areas of responsibility" and dictate to them or bail their asses out by handing over billions of dollars.

Edited by JaneAusten