Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Listen I am no fan of Joe Manchin but why is the press falling for this garbage. Both Manchin and Sinema knew darn well that Harris was going on local press and media outlets to talk about the relief package in WV and AZ.  This was announced early last week Harris was doing this.  This is all politics so Manchin and Sinema can say they tried to work towards a bipartisan solution. At least the GOP caucus has finally introduced something rather than just whine. At this point their 600 billion dollar package is laughable. I think this was all planned because the party knows that the pushback by Manchin and Sinema will play better with certain part of their(Manchin and Sinema's) own voting base. 

• Members

This came to mind for me as well.

It's like, when certain factions on the left, or right of center within the Democratic party can't be seen as going along with anything Nancy Pelosi proposes, so they feel compelled to demonstrate some type of pushback, even if they later vote in favor of the proposal. Some vote against it, when there are enough votes elsewhere to get the measure passed. So much of the pushback often seems performative, but I guess whatever works with the hometown audience?

• Members

Myanmar never really stopped being a military state. Aung San Suu Kyi was very much a power-less figurehead, and her "peaceful" reputation internationally has been obliterated in the past 5 years over Myanmar's blatant genocide of the Rohingya people - not her fault as the military is the one calling the shots there, but Kyi's silence has been deafening and showed what little credibility she has as a leader in that country, especially on the world stage. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Re: Myanmar. I've had this debate with friends over the last several years now. I think Daw Aung San Su Kyi has been a big disappointment, afaic. Friends have argued that she is not in full control and has to try to cajole the leadership (many who are former adversaries, and some former military) so she can make incremental change and that it's not up to her but she has claimed countless times that she is above the current leadership, so I can only be left to think that she is in agreement with the policy on Rohingya, which is 'ethnic cleansing' at the very least and genocide by many definitions.

OTOH, it's never a good thing when the military stages a takeover.

Edited by DramatistDreamer