The Politics Thread

• Members

I would guess a lot of this is Manchin (and possibly Sinema as well). I just hope they think carefully because they could easily end up in a place where they alienate all sides, which they can't afford to do going into 2022. (I am fine with them alienating Republicans in Congress as they are bad faith liars and hypocrites - I mean more the people who need this money even if they don't fit into certain brackets [and I am not sure if adult dependents will qualify and money for younger dependents may be reduced, which will make matters worse]).

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm glad to see the above. I'm also glad that Biden is apparently not going to seek out the advice of the ABA when it comes to judicial nominees. After the last few years that would just be a waste of time. 

I really hope they reconsider this type of strategy. College education does not have anything to do with being in a cult (Marjorie Taylor Greene has a degree!). This turns the battle into class warfare and alienates a wide swathe of voters. It is the ultimate consultant strategy, and gives me bad flashbacks to Hillary's campaign people. 

• Members

This is a consequence of extreme gerrymandering. Lunatics have more and more power. And the party both is intimidated by these lunatics and exploits them and their cult followers for money and power. The GOP is now using Ilhan Omar to try to make people think Greene has done nothing wrong. Greene is fundraising off of her remarks, and is becoming more and more powerful. Even if Democrats force her off the committees (and I hope they do), the GOP will now use her as a martyr to out of control Democrats. 

I don't think she will have as much success as Trump did (she isn't as charismatic, she doesn't have the media or PR support he did for decades and still does), but I think this article about the path she's taking is mostly right.

Speaking of depressing topics:

I wish I could plead with them to not fall for this. They are going to open themselves up to attacks of doing less than Trump and the GOP on checks, even though that isn't even rally true, all while alienating those who were promised 2K and now not only aren't getting 1400, but in many cases will be getting nothing. 

This type of decision meant to split down the middle just ends up alienating all sides.

• Members

The longer Greene is on stage and dividing them or disgracing them in the eyes of lazy swing voters (which this election proved still exist), the worse it is for the GOP. She is an albatross for them electorally despite being a sweetheart for their base.

I wouldn't freak out over a supposed proposal for a threshold anymore than I did over Manchin and Sinema two weeks ago. I don't think they're going to limit them beyond the wealthy, which I don't think will have a major impact politically, and I think those who need it and who are paying attn will get the checks.