Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 37.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DRW50

    4865

  • Vee

    4832

  • DramatistDreamer

    4587

  • Khan

    3055

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope that there will be counseling services made available for these families. Making them whole again (or at least the attempt to) entails more than reunification, although this is obviously an important start.

From what I am seeing, Speaker Pelosi's letter is having some impact. Folks seem to be coming for McCarthy right now. The Q-CA label was a masterstroke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of spin seems to be focusing on how the GOP is not that extreme because they did not boot Liz Cheney, and how the Democrats are going too far and now Republicans will boot progressives from committees if they win the House back. And "unity" talk. Media spin 101. Hopefully people don't buy it. MTG is so repulsive, and lacking in any of Trump's brand of toxic charisma, I am not sure if she will be made into as big a celebrity/martyr as some are claiming, but they will certainly try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Kevin McCarthy's actions yesterday prove the GOP are unable and unwilling to compromise.  Ever.  If anything, they're doubling and tripling down on the extremist thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was elements in the GOP screaming for Liz Cheney's head, not Democrats though. That's an internecine war, that looks to already been won by the most extreme elements. All Democrats should do is focus on their/Potus Joe's agenda and prosecute the case at the impeachment trial. So far, they seem fairly focused.

3 minutes ago, Khan said:

For me, Kevin McCarthy's actions yesterday prove the GOP are unable and unwilling to compromise.  Ever.  If anything, they're doubling and tripling down on the extremist thinking.

 

That's what it looks like to most people, I would believe.

 

Also, MTG is not even being expelled, she is being removed from a couple of committees. I'm not even sure that most Americans know what this entails-most would probably see a committee seat as a privilege anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheney retained her leadership position through secret ballot. That probably would have turned out different under a vote on the record. Trump would be convicted if the Senate could vote on impeachment in secret.

 

Losing committee assignments is very serious. As a member of Congress you are nothing without committees, because that is where most of the work occurs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

All Democrats should do is focus on their/Potus Joe's agenda and prosecute the case at the impeachment trial.

 

Agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Nancy Mace, yet another media darling breathlessly hyped as Reasonable and The Future, peddling into the increasingly sick and dangerous hatred the GOP has for AOC.

 

No matter how many times people tell you that Republicans in Congress can be good and pure, it's a lie. They will kick you just as hard as Matt Gaetz or Louis Gohmert or any of that ilk. The only difference is they will wait to do it 5 minutes later and half-heartedly try to make a sad face.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

Here is Nancy Mace, yet another media darling breathlessly hyped as Reasonable and The Future, peddling into the increasingly sick and dangerous hatred the GOP has for AOC.

 

No matter how many times people tell you that Republicans in Congress can be good and pure, it's a lie. They will kick you just as hard as Matt Gaetz or Louis Gohmert or any of that ilk. The only difference is they will wait to do it 5 minutes later and half-heartedly try to make a sad face.

 

 

Fear mongering The Squad is the only way they can raise money. The only GOPer I have any remote respect for is Kinzinger. He's a lot like Justin Amash who policy-wise I disagree with on everything but at least stands by some level of principle. Doesn't make them perfect by any means. She's just another opportunist void of ideas and courage. And she won't vote to ban Greene from any committees just watch. Just like she didn't vote for impeachment based on "process". As far as I am concerned that was when you knew she was just another phony.

Edited by JaneAusten
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ReddFoxx said:

Cheney retained her leadership position through secret ballot. That probably would have turned out different under a vote on the record. Trump would be convicted if the Senate could vote on impeachment in secret.

 

Losing committee assignments is very serious. As a member of Congress you are nothing without committees, because that is where most of the work occurs.

 

Of course, but does John Q. () Public know this? I'd be willing to bet a small amount that most Americans don't even think about Congressional committees and which one their representative sits on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Of course, but does John Q. () Public know this? I'd be willing to bet a small amount that most Americans don't even think about Congressional committees and which one their representative sits on.

Most people don't know half of how the process in Congress works which is why much of the public expects instant results for everything. The people who care most about committees are farmers who want their representative on the Agriculture Committee.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 112

      Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread

    2. 3,190

      Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

    3. 112

      Y&R May 2021 Discussion Thread

    4. 6,664

      Another World

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy