The Politics Thread

• Members

I try not to pay much mind to Buttigieg the way some do, because he has no chance, has never had any chance, and is likely just angling for a cushy gig somewhere, but I do think he has struggled to hide his contempt for most people as the race has gone along. With that said, I wasn't sorry to see him drop the hammer on Beto, who at this point is doing more harm than good about gun control. 

On this issue (health care), I think, as much as I hate to say it, anyone we elect will be unable to fix the system, whether they want to or not. The country is broken beyond repair. More and more people will continue to suffer and die. There will never be a fantasy European or Canadian style health plan to save the day. The best we can hope for is an intelligent President who is willing to triage and not worry about backlash.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agree!

Besides, I've always said that the solution to this crisis -- it's not an issue, IMO, it's a crisis -- lies not in revolutionizing how we, as consumers, pay for our health care, but in reforming how the healthcare industry operates financially.  We wouldn't have to worry about paying high premiums if the hospitals, pharmaceutical and insurance companies didn't charge so much for the least little expense.

I hope I'm making myself clear when I say all that, lol.  

Edited by Khan

• Members

The best health care reform is to expand on Obamacare and create a public option that competes on the market with insurance companies. Raising the income threshold for Medicaid would also be helpful, because some people that are not below the poverty line truly do need it. After that, anti-trust laws should be used to break up health insurance companies and health care providers who keep prices high. Allowing for smaller hospitals and small health insurance companies to open up in lower to medium sized communities would create job growth as well as lowering costs.

• Members

[!@#$%^&*] all the Democratic candidates currently running.  REDDFOXX 2020! 

Please register in order to view this content

But seriously.  I wish the government WOULD raise the Medicaid income threshold.  Mama Khan earns approximately $2500/mo. from Social Security -- which is good money, I must admit.  (Papa Khan, whose benefits she received upon his passing several years ago, worked at AT&T for 37 years).  And from that amount, Medicare takes roughly $150/mo. for her Plan D supplemental insurance.  However, by the time she pays for groceries, monthly utilities, and the mortgage on our house (which we have had since 1987, and have had to borrow against several times for various reasons), her bank account is Wiped. Out.

Yet, because of the guidelines, she doesn't qualify for Medicaid.  Nor do *I* qualify, because I live with her; and according to Medicaid, she makes enough each month to support us two.