Toups

The Politics Thread

28 minutes ago, Vee said:

Also, to whom it may concern: Do not even think of posting that damn Spike/Drucilla picture for the millionth time like it's an actual meme

To whom it may concern

10881477_10153356659854994_3688801335552516115_n.jpg

It's literally something only you do that no one gets but you! Stop doing it!! And now, back to the PT.

30 minutes ago, Khan said:

One of these days, someone's gonna come up with a more clever name for the whistle blower than "The Whistleblower."  I just know it.

True, the average I.Q. among the Trump administration is staggeringly low.  However, something about THAT situation has me wondering whether someone from within the WH emailed the Dems on purpose, then played it off as a mistake to avoid recriminations.

Same. I read that and wondered how 'accidental' such a move would be. 

If they are all about power, who is to say its not a power play?

4 minutes ago, Vee said:

It's literally something only you do that no one gets but you! Stop doing it!! And now, back to the PT.

I was minding my own business and reading like anyone else. I respond how I choose.

How about you keep your anger on the issues ON THE ISSUES. Or you can put me on ignore. That way I can get back to reading this interesting information same as you...especially since I have not been in here in a minute.

NOW back to the PT. 

12 hours ago, Khan said:

And here's POLITICO patting the Washington Post's editorial board on their backs for breaking open this latest clusterf**k earlier this month.  (Your thoughts, @DRW50?)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/25/washington-post-trump-ukraine-scandal-1511366

Except that "vague scandal with no real substance" ultimately turned many progressives and fence-straddlers away from voting for Hillary and either voting third party or sitting out altogether.  No wrongdoing was found on her part, yet the "scandal" it created was enough for those voters (including myself) to doubt whether she would preside with the nation's best interests at heart.  Hence, the #IGuessI'mWithHer noise that trended for a hot minute on social media.

And it wasn't as if her emails dominated the news cycles only during the campaign's final, critical weeks either.  We'd spent the better part of a year (and maybe more) talking about them, even though the scandal around them had been debunked long ago.

I'm worried the same [!@#$%^&*] is about to start all over again with Biden.

The main difference with Biden and Hillary is that Hillary had 25 years of pent up hatred from the media, the establishment, and much of the public. They can make Biden seem incompetent, or out of touch, but they can't make people (outside of the far left) hate him. He's Uncle Joe. 

I'm more concerned over just how in over his head he seems, and yes, all the issues with his son (his son seems to have many, many issues) are concerning as well. It's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Warren, but I feel like Warren is on a high right now and she's going to be torn to pieces by Trump, the media, and Bernie supporters.

As for the article - it feels like the media making themselves the story and backpatting as per usual. If they do help bring more rats to light with their editorial, I'm glad, but as of now we're mostly in the same place we've always been - the Senate will support Trump, so will the media, and the public doesn't support impeachment. I feel like Pelosi was boxed in and is just trying to navigate as best she can to make sure turnout doesn't sink in 2020. We're already getting the articles about how a lot of Democrats are unhappy about impeachment, so I guess we'll see how far this ends up going. 

11 hours ago, Vee said:

This one's for @DRW50:

It's still amazing to me he blew a golden opportunity to actually be a well-liked public figure because he just couldn't resist being such a complete partisan hack (and a moron to boot). Either he's just that stupid, he gets paid too well to ever not be such a hack, or he knows the media will love him no matter what. 

10 hours ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

Sorry our horrid Prime Minister has been over there tainting and sullying everything for a week now. Trust me, most of us our just as embarrassed of him as you all are of Trump!

https://twitter.com/zalisteggall/status/1176420798174650368

Words fail 😑🙄

What is all this about? Was this during the climate meetings at the UN?

I've been so caught up with Trump, and with the truly disgusting Boris Johnson, that I hadn't heard about this instance. 

12 hours ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

Sorry our horrid Prime Minister has been over there tainting and sullying everything for a week now. Trust me, most of us our just as embarrassed of him as you all are of Trump!

https://twitter.com/zalisteggall/status/1176420798174650368

Words fail 😑🙄

Right? He's such a frigging embarrassment. I'm ashamed to say I thought we were smarter than the US (sorry guys!) and wouldn't re elect such grossly incompetent people. But here we are. And we can't even argue "low turn out". 

To paraphrase the immortal words of ABC Daytime, miss an hour, miss a lot! The whistleblower complaint is out AND Acting DNI Maguire is now testifying live:

From what I can see, Maguire has a low-grade version of the same myopia as Comey: A fixation on appearing even-handed and fair to 'both sides', but always defaulting to Republican loyalty first despite his better instincts. I don't think he's a bad man, and he's got courage coming out here today. But he knew it was wrong to give Barr the complaint first when Barr is implicated.

Also: The media may always handicap Democrats, but outside of Fox it is definitely not supporting Trump right now. The only 'voters hate impeachment' articles, meanwhile, come from known conservative hacks.

Stop being spooked by false narratives.

Edited by Vee

In fact, the "swing voters hate impeachment/Democrats and love Trump" thing is apparently the reporter's beat:

It's like the NYT staff is made up primarily of Teen Talk Barbie dolls that, when you pull their strings, say, "JOURNALISM IS TOUGH!"

Edited by Khan

I think this Tavernise repeat 'Trump voters/swing voters' thing may actually blow up just like Jonathan Martin(?) or some of their recent bad headlines did. To which I say, good.

If and when The Whistleblower does finally show up to testify...

Maguire did too threaten to resign!  SOMEONE HAS GOTTEN TO HIM!

It likely won't come to that, but if so Pence makes Ford look like JFK in terms of charisma and electability.

Presidential historians agree that had he not pardoned Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford would have had a second term as Commander-in-Chief.  Like you said, @Vee, it won't come to Trump being removed from office; but, if it does, then Pence would be wise NOT to follow Ford's lead.