Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I second this request. Aussie news presenters seem to be under the assumption that Mike Pence is probably going down too and are saying that would mean Nancy Pelosi somehow ends up in charge? Like how soon are we talking that this would happen and does this have an effect on the election?

Also, can someone give me a brief summary of how this is different than the Richard Nixon situation? I had assumed he was removed but apparently he quit, so was that different than what's going to happen here or did he just quit before it got to this point?

Edited by AdelaideCate007

• Members

Oh shít:

As for @AdelaideCate007's question: It is very unlikely Trump will be convicted in the Senate and removed, which is controlled by the Republican Party. It is very likely the House will move to impeach, though, which is a major blow. The only way Pence (who is indeed up to his neck in this) would take the White House is if Trump were convicted and removed. As of now, impeachment is simply a smart political and moral stance going into an election year.

The difference with Nixon is, there a bipartisan group of Senators from both parties were prepared to convict him. The GOP of the '70s was not as fanatical and corrupt as it is now, and they found Nixon's crimes beyond the pale. Nixon knew they would vote against him and resigned to avoid that conviction. Today's GOP will countenance any crimes for power.

• Members

Exactly.  Although, as I've said before, I don't think he is.  Ergo, folks who are reading into his actions of late -- passing election security bills, allowing the whistleblower resolution to proceed -- need to stop.  In a way, he's more inscrutable (and more dangerous) than either Pence OR Trump on their BEST days.

I also agree that McConnell values the GOP and the courts more than he does Trump.  Yes, there is the issue of Trump's voter base, which has most other Republicans in a perpetual state of fear.  However, it's just what many here having been saying: the GOP, and Mitch McConnell in particular, know how to play the long game.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Agree.  I wouldn't put it past that man to sell even his wife down the proverbial river if it meant keeping his own neck out of trouble.

So...this began as part of an effort to pardon Manafort?  SAY WHA?

House Democrats wish to keep their impeachment inquiries focused squarely on the Ukrainian stuff.  However, this is quickly shaping up to be the mother of all umbrella stories, now drawing in [!@#$%^&*] from the Mueller investigation and God-knows-what-else.

Edited by Khan

• Members

One of these days, someone's gonna come up with a more clever name for the whistle blower than "The Whistleblower."  I just know it.

True, the average I.Q. among the Trump administration is staggeringly low.  However, something about THAT situation has me wondering whether someone from within the WH emailed the Dems on purpose, then played it off as a mistake to avoid recriminations.

Edited by Khan