The Politics Thread

• Members

I admit that I don't understand everything that's going on here, but it DOES look to me as if Biden won't walk away from this unscathed EITHER, which should have everyone working on his campaign VERY worried.  The progressives have been searching for the perfect weapon to use against him.  Now, thanks to the WH and its' own brand of stupidity, it looks as if Christmas is about to arrive early for them.

I never thought I would see the day when Bernie [!@#$%^&*] Sanders looked to be the better candidate to run against Trump for President.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sanders is not a good candidate either because he's got liabilities. I think Biden could get around this just because it looks like a retread of what was done to Clinton (a vague scandal with no real substance and Trump getting help from a foreign power). It's better that this play out now rather than at this time next year. That aside, another nominee would probably be best for other reasons (Biden's memory issues are a problem).

• Members

And here's POLITICO patting the Washington Post's editorial board on their backs for breaking open this latest clusterf**k earlier this month.  (Your thoughts, @DRW50?)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/25/washington-post-trump-ukraine-scandal-1511366

Except that "vague scandal with no real substance" ultimately turned many progressives and fence-straddlers away from voting for Hillary and either voting third party or sitting out altogether.  No wrongdoing was found on her part, yet the "scandal" it created was enough for those voters (including myself) to doubt whether she would preside with the nation's best interests at heart.  Hence, the #IGuessI'mWithHer noise that trended for a hot minute on social media.

And it wasn't as if her emails dominated the news cycles only during the campaign's final, critical weeks either.  We'd spent the better part of a year (and maybe more) talking about them, even though the scandal around them had been debunked long ago.

I'm worried the same [!@#$%^&*] is about to start all over again with Biden.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Which is why I said could. The public can be swayed by scandal without substance, but I think with everything that happened over the past couple of years that the electorate will be a little more cautious about buying into such things. But I do think another nominee than Biden is a safer choice.

• Members

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should never let anyone who watches Fox News run a country.  Those oldsters are TRAINED to persist with their ridiculous conspiracy theories, even at the expense of verifiable evidence (such as the Ukrainian government clearing both Bidens of any wrongdoing). 

I know.  I live with a mother who watches Fox News.

McConnell isn't rattled, because he still controls the Senate, who will never, under any circumstances, go against Trump OR his voters.  He knows, too, that, with or without Trump, the Republican agenda will be in place for decades to come. 

IOW, even when the Republicans lose, they still win.

Edited by Khan

• Members

If he is, he's not showing it. That's not his way.

McConnell values the courts and the GOP agenda far more than Donald Trump. If he thinks its survival or his is contingent on cutting Trump loose he won't hesitate. I don't think that will happen, but I also think the GOP and Trump are in for some miserable years, starting with this one.

And yes, we can derail the GOP agenda upon taking more offices. There will be judges we cannot extricate, yes, but their hold over the system has collapsed before and can again. It's not doing so hot atm.

Edited by Vee