The Politics Thread

• Members

I had chickenpox when I was in the sixth grade.  In fact, the school had to postpone awarding me my trophy for placing second in the school spelling bee because of it.  Believe me, that was one of the worst weeks of my young life.  Vaccinate your damn kids, people.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, let's up the intensity of this conflict and our part in it. I come around to Biden more by the day. By all means, let's have the establishment.

This should not be allowed.  The state should be making sure that all foster children are vaccinated.  I just can't believe this insanity.

• Members

Yeah, me too. It's more the general instability for me, but both combined have me running to what I feel sure is a return to sanity and the status quo.

I'm never quite sure what Trump's agenda is on this topic.  Another area where I miss the status quo. Granted it has never brought the region closer to peace, but at least it wasn't making the conflict worse.  I guess we can hope Syria (or should I just say Assad) is to weak to respond.

• Members

Call me a pessimist, but I really believe Brexit will end with the UK being kicked out without any deals in place.  And if anyone thinks that won't create chaos down the road, then they're full of it.

Yep.  It's sad to think that it's come to this (Biden, of all people, as the candidate for bringing back the status quo), but...it's come to this, lol.  I mean, Trump has become so awful that people have begun waxing nostalgic about the Nixon administration!  Like, seriously?

• Members

I give you what we all predicted: The inevitable self-destruction of Sanders Without Clinton, a la Garfield Without Garfield. Let the flaying begin. And over what incredibly important issue, you ask? I'm glad you did!

• Members

Completely non-political post: the chicken pox are how I discovered soap operas.

I was head to toe in spots. I had them everywhere: mouth, ears, eyelids and my torso was just ravaged. I still have some of the scars to this day. I was laying in bed and ended up watching "Search for Tomorrow" with my mom. It must have been sweeps week because Renata Sutton was in the hospital about to give birth and the hospital was on fire. She ended up giving birth in a storage room with oxygen tanks in it and as her husband carried the newborn baby to safety there was an explosion and she died in a classically soapy death scene. ("David...take...care...of our daughter." *dies*. David screams "RENATAAAAA!")

I sat there on the bed with tears streaming down my calamine-lotioned face and soaking into the blanket. The rest is history. 

The double irony is that a few years later I would be home sick with a really nasty flu and that's when I would see my first episode of "All My Children" and discover my very first supercouple: Cliff and Nina. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Mine, too! And I was like 7 or 8 when they had their big wedding and I was home from school and in my glory because I thought it was the most romantic wedding ever. LOL! Of course, there was the whole "Cliff keeping a secret from Nina about pregnant Sybil Thorne", but hey.

Back to the backbiting demagoguery that is politics!

• Members

I guess this is an issue where the progressives and I part ways.  I agree that Vietnam shouldn't have happened, but calling individual soldiers killers is not ok with me.  I guess some people think it takes more courage to pretend you have bone spurs. McCain was tortured for 5 years for God's sake.

• Members

There have been awful conspiracy theories posted about McCain and how his father helped him and got him special treatment at the Hanoi Hilton.  It's awful BS but it doesn't stop people from blaming him.  I have zero support for anything McCain did as a legislator and will always question how he could be such a war hawk after his time as a POW, but I would never question his service. Lord he's also one of the few who called out Vietnam for what it was - a rich mans war. 

• Members

I don't understand that either, not fully.  My objection is more with people coming after McCain or any soldier for Vietnam. Men were drafted, so I am frankly disgusted with anyone who ever came after the men who fought that war. My only caveat are soldiers who were knowingly involved with war crimes.

Our wars in the Middle East are a different issue and McCain's circumstances were very different. He was a leader at that point and I certainly wish that all of our leaders had said no to perpetual war.  I think the fear of terrorism after 9/11 is part of the issue. Looking back, it's clear that the terrorists were not as capable of striking as many thought at the time. I remember the fearmongering that went on about biological weapons. Remember the specials shows like Nightline did getting people worked up about that? Tony even mentions it on The Sopranos. So Washington wanted a show of force, I guess.

That's the best explanation I can come up with other than money. Why we decided to strike Iraq is also beyond me, but I think a lot of people wanted revenge at any cost. They followed where the Bush administration led.