The Politics Thread

• Members

Kanye has talked about not taking his meds and has clearly had manic episodes in public view. The way that the media treats him is deplorable - I was disgusted by the hypocrisy of SNL in having Pete Davidson dress him down on Weekend Update for giving a big pro-Trump speech when they knew exactly who he was and what he was likely to say when they booked him as a musical guest. It's one thing for people to be angry about his pro-slavery comments and for supporting Trump and for feeling he's betrayed them, but the media outlets who have made money off him and then act shocked at the behavior they exploit? It is just nasty and it exposes how empty the business is.

I don't believe Taylor Swift is a Democrat either. I think she is likely a conservative in many ways - maybe just not socially. The problem is the GOP has moved so far to the right on every level, and beyond right-wing views, is now full of mouth-breathing insanity, that she had to make a choice. Given that much of her audience is women, likely women in their teens, twenties, and thirties, the choice became clear to her. 

She will get a ton of backlash, but I guess she's rich enough to where it won't affect her anyway.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Taylor is your garden-variety white-girl celeb liberal, but she’s very pragmatic. She wasn’t going to let what happened to Katy Perry happen to her. She’s also performing on the AMAs, and 

Grammy voting season is coming in a little over a week (she’s pushing Reputation for AOTY), so there’s that.

• Members

I don't mean that they care about people, I mean they care about how people see them. Many Republicans are obsessed with their legacies above all else. That's why they get so easily bruised when things don't go their way. It's also one of the reasons McConnell hated Obama so much. 

• Members

Exactly. What happened to Katy Perry? She’s judging a barely watched American Idol reboot.

Taylor is already getting great press out of this at exactly the right time. Right when Kanye is down. Right when she’s re-entering the public eye. Seeing a lot of tweets like this from folks who’ve “un-cancelled” TS:

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Like I said, she's no fool.

Yep.  The new album's about to drop, and it's gonna be wall-to-wall, old-school R&B slow jams.  (Taylor's doing a Barry White cover, y'all.  Get ready.)

Edited by Khan

• Administrator

My girl.

Please register in order to view this content

I follow her very closely, so these views aren't surprising.  She is socially liberal.  I thought the pressure on her to speak out was very unfair.  I think people should speak out whenever they feel like it, not because pressure.  I'm glad she spoke out in a respectful and articulate way.   I knew I chose the right one to be all time favourite. Okay, back to lurking.    PS. Fuck Kavanaugh.   And other PS, thanks to everyone who posts links to news, or news from Twitter - this thread is my go to place for finding what's happening politically. 

• Members

The way Kanye treats the world and his own immense power and responsibility is deplorable. He's mentally ill, but after a certain point that stops being an excuse (see: Roseanne). It's very sad what's happened to him, but I stopped being sad for him a while ago. He just makes me angry.

I don't have any evidence Taylor Swift is a conservative, or that she courted the MAGAs. I keep hearing these claims and I never see any evidence that I find remotely credible. All I have is evidence of how easily other people project onto her. I saw her being completely apolitical; I didn't necessarily like that in 2018, but I somewhat understood it. She is a very calculating performer and commercial artist, she's not the first or the last - that doesn't make her the Antichrist, or the one woman everyone can vilify and excuse any behavior towards (like, I don't know, let's just say for example interrupting her speech and then fetishizing her naked body over and over for years afterwards as she grows from teen to adult).

Anyway, I'm glad she spoke up.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Pray for sanity in Brazil over the next 3 weeks. They are close to electing their own version of Duerte. It’s time we ask again the reasons for the pushbacks against liberal democracies all over the world. Corruption is the main source yet those getting elected are even more corrupt and their lawlessness on display without a care in the world. Bolsonaro now has the support of the establishment media in Brazil as he had brought in an economics advisor from the US from the Univ of Chicago to push Neoliberal economic policies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45780176

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Bolsanaro is a mix of Trump and Duterte as he is pretty racist as well.

I just hope Brazil won't revert to the days when police openly killed homeless children in the streets.

You're welcome, Toups.

Please register in order to view this content

Glad that you can sift through the thread and find useful information and news items of interest. 

It is a go-to spot!

• Members

When men avoid hot button issues in favor of commercial market share (however unsavory I find that personally) we call it good business. When a woman does it we call her a Nazi whore.

Racists make her a lust object. Faux-woke left blogs make her the one woman they can call a c_nt and call it a political action. There were even people calling her getting groped by some drunk DJ some kind of calculating ploy from Taylor Swift, the perpetual kinder-demon. Name another woman anyone else would put that [!@#$%^&*] on. You can't - except maybe Hillary Clinton, or Michelle Obama.

But when a man with a really big megaphone obsesses over her, demeans her and fetishizes her naked body for almost a decade as she grows from teen to adult, we can choose sides and say it's okay to do some light misogyny because hey - it's just Taylor fúcking Swift. Nah, I'm good, thanks. And BTW I don't even listen to her music much, whereas I listened to Kanye a ton til 2016. But I've just always found this shït vile, ugly and a 'woke' excuse for misogyny and fantasy vilification.