Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So right when we get dire warnings about the environment 45 decides to allow higher blends of ethanol year round. He's trying to throw a bone to the governor of Iowa supposedly.

https://www.omaha.com/news/nation/morton/it-sets-the-stage-for-growth-trump-administration-to-allow/article_7f8e8e54-5aff-560d-b565-b92622c3a253.html

• Members

Isn't that the truth? We're through the looking glass for sure.  Maybe it's best that MA makes it clear he's not a serious contender by coming up with this kind of nonsense.

I see John Kerry's name out there.  I can't think of a less inspiring candidate other than Joe Biden. Are we really going to have to choose another septuagenarian to get the job done? 

• Members

I'm afraid so.  I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never see another Obama, or even another Hillary Clinton, in my lifetime.

We might dig ourselves out of the hole that Trump has put us in...someday...eventually.  But I think we'll be too wrapped up in restoring civility and normalcy and stability, both to the WH and to this nation, to entertain another young, youthful, energetic contender with big ideas for a LONG time.  

IOW, it's going to be up to our kids to find the next Obama.  We've just got too much mess to clean up to think about going down that road again.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This is not a popular opinion. But, while I do understand the need for youth and fresh ideas, the fact is, Trump and his ilk have damaged this nation so phenomenally that we will likely need someone with experience  to even start cleaning up the enormous amounts of messes the current GOP has created.

And, like it or not, that translates to someone "old".

Add in that our respectability and standing around the world is also below sewer level, and that needed experience will be needed all the more to repair our image.

I'm not saying there should never be another Obama or someone else equally young and dynamic down the line, but right after Trump, sadly, is not the optimal time.

• Members

I don't think Kerry or Biden will get the nomination. Kerry in particular will probably languish far back in the pack. Biden missed his chance in 2016. 

I think there are younger and more vital Democrats but the problem is there are so many, it will be a messy primary. 

The irony with Obama is that he was in many ways very traditional. He only became more assertive because he was viciously attacked and degraded for years on end. 

I do think we need someone with experience, but I think we also need someone who is willing to roll the dice and take drastic actions. Without them we're going to crash hard - if we aren't already anyway. 

Anyway, in more Republicans-showing-what-women-mean-to-them news:

• Members

I guess young and old are relative things.  I don't really see someone in their 50's as young.  I suppose I'm being a little ageist when I wonder where someone in their 70's is going to get the energy.  Someone like Trump doesn't count because we all know he's not doing the work. 

Anyway, I'm not anti old people.  I hope to be in my 70's,  30 years from now.  I'm not hoping they all die fast like some people do, mostly because I don't really believe that young people are going to be all that different when their time comes.  The well has been poisoned and that (very unfortunately) will affect our young as well. Plus Gamer Gate put those illusions to rest for me years ago.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

IA.  I hate to say it, too, but I actually think someone who, in the past, might have been labelled as "too establishment" or too much of a Washington insider will end up looking ideal after Trump.  ("Back to Basics"?  "Business as usual"?  Sounds good to me!)  So, yeah, Joe Lieberman, come on down, lol.

The truth is, if we try for another Obama on the heels of Trump, this nation will be divided more than ever, as impossible as that seems at the moment.  We could very well end up having another civil war or another situation that results in the creation of two Americas.

Yeah, I tend to agree there, too.  For me, it's not looking good.  Nevertheless, I'm voting Democrat no matter who ends up being the nominee, just because I don't believe I'll ever be able to trust the GOP again.  It's going to take them at least a generation, and a ton of the "old guard" dying out, before some (reasonably more) sensible folks who won't cater to the most craven of us reclaim the party for the better.

Edited by Khan