The Politics Thread

• Members

Well, I wouldn't want to wish harm on anybody about anything...but she had it coming.

So, in the end, what did it profit Joe Manchin to vote "yes" for Kavanaugh?  Seriously, I need to know this.  Because, from where I'm sitting, it looks as if he's gained nothing.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I saw a lengthy article on Politico about how Democrats are so upset and anxious over being seen as "wet rags." This has been a real running theme with the media, a narrative they use hand-in-hand with their GOP. We've also seen it on SNL recently. They are setting people up for the inevitable and in many cases rigged wins for Republicans in November - it will be because Democrats aren't "tough enough." And then the twofer will be when Democrats do become more vocal, the media will say they are "angry" and can't be trusted to lead the country because they are out of control.

• Members

Democrats don't want to be known strictly as "the anti-Trump party."  But, I say, ride that pony for all it's worth, lol.

If it's good enough for me, then it's gotta be good enough for a lot of others, too.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I want to have a serious discussion about congress and it's effectiveness or lack of it over the past 40 years plus.

Beyond LBJ, what big legislative achievements can we point to. What big wins did Reagan have(tax overhaul?), Bush1 and Bush2, Clinton? Obama had the ACA.

I'm asking because why are we relying on the courts to set law. Roe V Wade should be a bill. Abortion and reproductive rights should have been a law that should have been passed by both houses of congress back then. I am not old enough to know what happened to prevent that. Was it just that both parties intended to use this as a wedge issue going forward?

There are many others, but shouldn't we be asking our congressional leaders to legislate and to set law. Why are we letting them off the hook and relying on our judicial system to make law in a sense? Have we lost sight of what our congressional representatives should be doing?

• Members

I think so.  I've seen it time and time again: SCOTUS is not there to make the laws, or to legislate opinions.  SCOTUS is there strictly to determine the constitutionality of the cases brought before them.

Ugh.  Right now, Mama Khan is in another room, listening to Kav's big speech on the WH lawn.  Isn't it appropriate how the Senate forced him on us like he forced himself on those women (allegedly)?  Of course, the difference between Kav and the U.S. Senate, is that the U.S. Senate actually finished the job.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

Omfg. Yes. This.

im the Republican (ex-Democrat) that many have blocked and I agree on this post 100%

Congress punted difficult issues to the presidency and the courts and that is what got us into this mess to begin with. Yes. If we can agree on that, it is indeed a start. 

• Members

Of course we have more in common. I remember when there used to be decent discussions here with Max who was a republican but one could have a policy and an ideology discussion reasonably and with respect. 

The hyper partisan ship has made that impossible. And that started long before Trump. The problem with Trump is character matters. Attempts at nationwide unification matters. None f that us happening now. As a democrat I could even get behind some of Trumps ideas on tariffs if he were more focused on outreach. Well and also put tariffs in that were well thought thru with a start and end goal. But he makes that impossible. And when I have to point to GHWB and his "proper" handling of the Anita Hill allegations as a high point, that says a lot.

There IMO is plenty to compromise on. Electing people who want to legislate and not just vote on budgets and increasing military spending repeatedly would be a start. And if these people are not prepared to do that then they need to go home. I go back to the GOP and their hatred of gvmt, gvmt being the problem(ie Reagan), leading to this idea that the gvmt should do nothing which means congress sits on their asses and does nothing period.

John McCain after Citizens United was passed introduced a bill to overturn it and to put into law practices that prohibited that kind of campaign funding. And his own party overwhelmingly voted against it so it went no where. How are the voters of those senators(ie; Collins for example) ok with that. That I would expect is a bipartisan issue.

And 2 term Collins 22 years later(who vowed to only run for 2 terms) is no Margaret Chase Smith or Olympia Snowe, 2 GOP senators from Maine who were principled. Snowe left the senate in 2012 after citing the hyperpartisanship as a problem and her reason why she was not re-running. Snowe was always cited as one of the top 5 senators in the senate.

Edited by JaneAusten