Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carl, I'm sorry but that is just not true, and with the exception of a few boorish comments from guys like Chuck Todd it is not remotely what is playing out on TV in the mainstream media or in the public discourse today.

We can and should be skeptical and wary of what will occur and pragmatic to a fault, but I think to not acknowledge how this is playing out is just kneecapping ourselves and frankly, doing a disservice to Professor Ford.

• Members

Nothing against Ford - she's done everything she can. For all the talk from some about her nefarious schemes, she is clearly a very brave woman who has had to act mostly on her own, with not even the support of her parents. 

It's just so many others up high, with the real power, who are setting the stage. And those are the most craven people, yet unfortunately, the ones who tend to get the final say in narrative and results. 

This is how the media are going to get Trump and Kavanaugh through this. Todd made sure at other points to set the narrative that Democrats are to blame for Ford being put in this position, and that Democrats don't really care about the process and just want to be a support group. And the end result is the "both sidesing" that gets Republicans what they want like clockwork - oh boo hoo boo hoo both sides are broken broken broken...it is so very sad and did I mention I'm above it all, because I need you to know just how impartial and intelligent I am, unlike everyone out there who can't stop seeing red and blue. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

"The media" is not pushing that line, though. You certainly have some folks trying to #BothSides it like Chuck, but the fact is it has been a net disaster for the GOP and very little of the mainstream media is trying to spin it as anything else. Chucks aside, that is the overwhelming narrative that is here today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

This is a performance for Trump and the GOP/their money men. If he postures and gets ragey while also playing the victim, he will have their support, which is all he needs.

It means he's promising his backers that he will make Democrats pay if he is confirmed. This is what they want to hear and need to hear. 

• Members

Oh I'm just talking out of my ass, probably...but it's what I think. 

This man, and vile Mary Matalin's "questions" for Ford a few days ago in an interview, reinforce just how unhinged so many of the Bush-era Republicans were. They were protected and were able to publicly hide their rage, but they were awful people. They have, by and large, gotten too much of hindsight praise in the last few years because W was mostly smart enough to go away with his paintbrush. 

• Members

This is so true.  Anita Hill supposedly wasn't vulnerable enough.  If a victim shows too much emotion she's dismissed as hysterical. One more way you have to be the perfect victim to be taken seriously.  I keep thinking about what would have happened if CBF hadn't been such an educated, well spoken woman. There probably wouldn't even be a hearing.

Ugh. Hiding behind his 10 year old daughter. So gross.