Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Shameful. And frightening. I keep being surprised by how high up the corruption goes.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/say-hello-to-your-boy-a-special-guy

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/politics/trump-anthony-kennedy-retirement.html 

But they had a connection, one Mr. Trump was quick to note in the moments after his first address to Congress in February 2017. As he made his way out of the chamber, Mr. Trump paused to chat with the justice.

“Say hello to your boy,” Mr. Trump said. “Special guy.”

Mr. Trump was apparently referring to Justice Kennedy’s son, Justin. The younger Mr. Kennedy spent more than a decade at Deutsche Bank, eventually rising to become the bank’s global head of real estate capital markets, and he worked closely with Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer, according to two people with knowledge of his role.

During Mr. Kennedy’s tenure, Deutsche Bank became Mr. Trump’s most important lender, dispensing well over $1 billion in loans to him for the renovation and construction of skyscrapers in New York and Chicago at a time other mainstream banks were wary of doing business with him because of his troubled business history.

• Members

The Kennedy aspect is disturbing but not surprising after watching Thomas rule on cases related to Monsanto when he had direct ties with them. I think whatever legacy Kennedy allegedly was going to have is tarnished but was already tarnished. He did believe in personal liberty which is what he used to hold up Roe, but he also riled on some of the most disastrous decisions in conservatives favor. We can thank him for Citizens United which is one of the main factors that is eating away at our politics today.

As for ICE, I don't think the idea is that unpopular. Frankly I've been won over by the idea of taking bold but maybe not popular stands. I don't mean extreme left radical, but reasonable practical solutions. I think a re-examination of what ICE's original intent was and whether it's still needed. I just wish we could do the same for the dept of defense which sucks up now a  trillion dollar budget.

• Members

Didn't Milo Yawnalotalis or whatever that spiteful little turd's name is, say recently “I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight" ? My hatred for these unhinged fascist buffoons burns exponentially hotter with each passing day. They are literally inciting their followers to civil war.

LOL meanwhile this happened on Faux. This is like the agenda of my dreams! 

Edited by Cat

• Members

Agree.

It always surprises me whenever a conservative speaks out in favor of LGBTQ rights.  Like the time when Dick Cheney was asked about his views on same-sex marriage and he said, "Freedom means freedom for everyone," or something to that effect.  Of course, I didn't know about Mary Cheney at the time, or her partner, but I was still taken aback when he said that.

Same goes for learning about Kennedy's published argument in favor of the Obergerfell (sp?) case.

That propagandist....  No matter what it is, if it's coming from the "other side," then he's against it.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Speaking of, what's the latest on the sinkhole at the WH?

It never fails to irk me whenever certain individuals, including my own mother, suggest that Trump has somehow been anointed by God to be president.  ("Really?  Well, if God is pleased with Donald Trump as president, then I'm-a have to rethink this Christianity thing.")

Edited by Khan

• Members

Against senior citizens (I thought they were part of his core fanbase!). Against anti-corruption efforts. This wig-wearing fool! He's def against improving education standards -- god forbid we have an edumacated electorate instead of the current slack-jawed nitwits accepting his every spit-speckled invective as God's Law.

• Members

I don't really follow Medicare for All stuff because I know it isn't going to happen anyway, but this is a pretty good pitch (it's a shame the NHS itself is under siege and those running the UK government are desperate to make their health care system like ours).

• Members

It's not the nicest thing to say but at this point, I think, the best thing that could happen for global security is if the U.S. is severely diminished in its global power and reach.  

So much easier for Putin to gain a further foothold into influence in Europe, don't you think?