The Politics Thread

• Members

I've already noticed that some on the far-left have started pre-emptively attacking Harris, perhaps sensing a run in 2020.

I will say this: if Harris does decide to run and the far-left try to attack her, you will see just how much muscle Black women Dems have and there will truly be a serious fracture in the party to contend with.

But I'll save that for another day because for now, I'm taking in the significant election results last night and then there is this.  Clearly Paul Ryan is not the wonk he wants us all to believe he is.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-jersey/articles/2017-11-08/politician-who-joked-about-womens-march-defeated

A New Jersey woman runs and defeats a man who posted sexist comments after the Women's March.

This made me laugh out loud, repeatedly, especially Mika's barely concealed pleasure at the thought of Northam losing. And why am I not surprised to see Harold Ford on that awful channel.

I've seen some pundits say "Well of course they did well - people hate Trump," which is a shame, as from what I've read these candidates in the lower races worked their butts off, as did others like Tom Perriello. And in races elsewhere that won't get much attention but will be important down the line, like in Georgia.

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/7/16622128/georgia-election-results-state-senate

You could feel a lot of the media very eagerly writing a narrative as they'd already spent so much time building it up with Dems in disarray, Donna Brazille, etc. Some Bernie supporters/both-parties-are-evil types were also building that narrative and don't seem pleased at all. The latter I guess because this was supposed to send a message about capitulation and moderation, and then it didn't happen, which means we'll still be having these arguments and purity contests on and on for the next year. I can see why people would be unhappy after the sanctuary cities flip-flopping, but I hope these people are at least happy that Virginians won't have their lives made hell (not by their state government, anyway). If we actually care about people, surely that should be the case.

• Members

I think Morning Joe is a bunch of Beltway hacks, but in fairness they have been full-throated in cheering the Dems on yesterday and today, and saying this is a referendum on Trump that will continue to decimate the GOP.

It's more about the enemy of my enemy - however flighty and vapid they are, they make a lot of tastes in DC. They speak to that constituency and attempt to craft narrative. It's in our interest to harness that narrative as it's happening now. Cynical, maybe a little - but necessary.

• Members

^^

I don't know Vee. I don't watch Morning Joe and have stayed away from most MSM but even CNN was riding the "democrats in disarray" train and how Northam ran a horrible campaign. I think he ran a tepid campaign yet all this praise for Gillespie by the MSM of turning the race around, it turns out after watching that clip and Harold Ford's comments, he was wrong. That ad apparently backfired bigtime in areas Gillespie was actually competitive in when he ran for senator and in those areas he was close in and some he even won, he lost badly.

And this idea that some GOPers really believe it's about not getting anything done, is so bad yet the media is endorsing the idea that to be competitive in 2018 they must pass a tax plan the majority of Americans hate.

I am at times ambivalent about Tom Perez, and have to remind myself that the DNC is basically a fundraising arm for the democrats. While I think the party could use some good marketing and messaging, what I heard him say this morning is true. People in state races at the grassroots level are talking about issues important to their constituents. That's why so many of these local and state races went the way of democrats. Sure the Trump stigma is attached, but most of these folks are not ignoring the issues. Heck Northam didn't. I agree with what Carl said above. There is so much work and energy and so many groups coming out to help and this is what made a difference. Democrats universally won mayoral races, other municipal races, and state races and won by women, minorities,  and LGBT folks. The Sikh gentleman who won as mayor in Hoboken after everything thrown at him. All of these things are being ignored. As is the fact that the GOP dumped millions themselves into VA.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I'm also glad things are improving for you on the healthcare access front, @Khan.

In the wake of Trump being elected one poster/troll said that elections have consequences and in the wake of last night's election results, I'd say "Right back at you".

Please register in order to view this content

Indeed they do.

That's a first-class response. Very subtle shade.

This is breathtaking to see.

Edited by DramatistDreamer