The Politics Thread

• Members

I saw a tweet saying that even if Malia Obama III was elected President, Politico would still do these Trump voter stories. They're probably right, but the stories do serve one purpose - to show that none of this is about politics for a large subset of voters, and that they are desperate to make him whatever they need him to be.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Indeed.  Especially in regards to all the women.  Between these victories and all the women standing up and telling their stories of sexual harassment and assault in the wake of all the scandals with Harvey Weinstein and others, I'm VERY proud of women in this country right now.

Please register in order to view this content

Wow, "Back! Show Killer" (tm Television Without Pity) went in hard on her brother, didn't she?  It's gonna be one awkward-as-hell Christmas for that family, lol!

I'm not particularly fond of CNN, but I can see what the DOJ is doing here, and I think it's dirty.  I'm VERY worried that AT&T will sell off CNN, because, as always, money talks and talks loudest.

• Members

The thought that there are around 75 million people in his base is really disheartening.  This last election gave me hope that he won't win again, but still.  It's stunning. After everything he's done and said he still has more support than I would have thought possible before this $hit show started.

• Members

It is, and it's equally disheartening to realize that nothing -- and I mean nothing -- will turn them around in their thinking.  Even if they have realized that Trump is a liar who will not follow through on any of his empty promises, they are prepared to walk hand-in-hand with him into the abyss, because they believe he is their last best chance.  It's sad, because, one way or the other, like it or not, the world IS changing and it WILL leave them behind.  But...they're lost causes.

• Members

It's about to leave the vast majority of us behind, but the threat isn't a pluralistic society. As we've talked about before, the thread is AI, automation and climate change.

I seriously wonder what the world is going to be in 20 years. I certainly feel anxiety for my children, but this isn't the first period of uncertainty in human history. We all have to play the hand we're dealt. I don't think we can predict what will happen even 10 years from now.  Maybe we'll be lucky and this era of Trumpisim will seem like a distant bad memory.

• Members

Yeah, this isn't going to make a difference to GOP voters. We've seen time and time again they have no morals. They'd willingly offer up their own children to stay in power. Hopefully this will at least make independents and moderates abstain from voting for Moore even if they won't vote for Jones.

• Members

Dennis Hastert was speaker. And no one will ever convince me that his molestation of boys was not known when he was serving.  

I'd like to think it matters, but these folks only seems to care when it's a democrat or someone from Hollywood. The belief that we should believe the victims first is selective.  

Oh and I am sure the contingent of "why now" will come up as it always does. Anyone who mentions that has not been paying attention to anything that's been going on since many of these stories started coming out.

Oh and the 14 year old victim, voted for Trump. How twisted is that.

Edited by JaneAusten