Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's true...and many of these insurrectionists are keyboard warriors only. The problem is I think many on the left and in the middle still think there's a way forward or underestimate just how fast this insanity is moving (and in the case of some on the left, hate Biden, the Clintons, the Obamas, etc. enough to not realize they'd be going in the same camps as the rest of us). I am hoping the acceleration of what's going on in places like Tennessee will cause more of them, especially those in power, to start taking safeguards while they still can.

• Members

I think a good number on the left are more aware than that. That is why they stress voting/protesting. Many know the right is now basically a Fascist cabal.

What will be, will be, but the pendulum always swings back. A good number on both sides are older, and the future will depend upon the newer voters/generation. Change - or a status quo into Fascism, will depend upon them.

In terms of what I saw in that video from Tennessee today, it gives me a glimmer of hope.

• Members

Someday, maybe in 5 or 10 or 20 years, we're gonna break the back of the gun lobby, pass real legislation that starts to put this era in the rear view and we'll finally be able to look back at all this differently. That's the only solace I take.

• Members

I remember that in 1968 (yes 55 years ago) my older brother was was going door-to-door to talk to people about the need for gun control.  He had some leaflets. And a petition to sign or information on how to write to your congressperson, or something like that.  I was a child but I remember it!

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I wonder how it is playing locally within the culture of Tennessee?

I've seen the usual attempts by country music folks to divert attention using the now-predictable transphobic vilification of Bud Light for paying a trans woman for a single social media post.

But, I don't know how the more liberal constituents, who for now have no representation in their state legislature, feel about this.  Like is it being discussed on local news, in the bars, and at the supermarket as a constitutional crisis?  Or is the relative lack of coverage by the national media indicative of the local interest?

Edited by j swift

• Members

National media largely reports most on what white male urban centrist-right reporters and their producers think people in their idealized "real America" will care about vs. what they actually do.

Last year (and not just last year) proved that with many, many, many Beltway journalists insisting abortion would not matter, and that the economy as defined by Republicans was the main issue on the ballot. They were wrong. They still are. They will be again. Such are our times and our media.

• Members

They have also tried to generate outrage over Build a Bear having a RuPaul bear. Sadly this type of culture war hysteria gets the job done.

As for local reaction, local media has been decimated and what there is of it is under the control of right wing hatemongers like Sinclair.

• Members

It was shocking watching the Sunday morning shows debate how the legislature should've dealt with dissent (CBS), or how Reps Jones and Pearson will use the expulsion to their political advantage in future elections (NBC), rather than, what is to me the jaw-dropping reality of how many people in Nashville and Memphis will go without representation in the state legislature until there is an emergency election.