Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Most of the former feds criticizing Comey are Clinton-leaning (although I agree with them), so it will get drowned in the noise machine. 

I don't think most people will vote based on this, although it makes me wary that a poll out yesterday did have a small sample of Clinton voters (somewhere between 7-15% I think) who said it would or may affect their vote. That might be enough given how tight the polls are. I think right now she'd win but it will be very close. But it was tightening even before this so I don't think the letter will make a difference. The main difference is it enlivens a pro-Trump media who have been looking for ways to help him on the comeback trail or at the very least help their GOP heroes keep Congress. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

In a world where Trump is the Republican nominee "left-leaning" has been redefined as anyone who adheres to fact based reality 50 percent of the time.

The thing I find ironic is that the people gunning for Hilz over emails want her to go to jail for what is at best a violation of State Department policy but Comey just committed a far more egregious violation. One where he spit in the face of decades of policy and went over his boss' head. He's given Obama every reason to ask for his resignation.

• Members

I watched the (non-cable) news last night and a few headlines this morning and yes, the mood does appear to be that Comey went about this latest pursuit the wrong way. There is a sense though, that he made a promise to the House (aka Republicans) during the hearings that he would update them with any new developments regarding these e-mails so he felt compelled to update them with any "new" development, even though there is a sense that these e-mails will most likely be duplicates with nothing new to offer.

Earlier, CBS This Morning claimed that surveys indicate that the overwhelming majority of people say that this newest event does not change their vote and that, in fact, 20 million people have already cast their votes.

• Members

One of the reasons the polls are now tied or shifting toward Trump is because more Republicans, including those with college degrees that often huff and puff about how they don't like Trump, are moving toward him. It's another example of why Democrats are better off spending less and less time making any effort toward wooing the fantasy of a moderate Republican that died somewhere around 1980. Most Republicans would vote for a lunatic, and happily do so, over any Democrat ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/30/white-republicans-are-coming-home-to-donald-trump-at-just-the-right-time/

• Members

This hurt my heart- it is a tough read in some segments, yet it goes to show that no matter how tough times are, the overwhelming majority of Black people will never vote for a Trump. He brings to mind images of slavemasters and KKK inflicting terror.

And hey, despite Republicans best efforts to suppress the Black vote, the GOP won't be able to suppress all of our votes.

Black Voters, Aghast at Trump, Find a Place of Food and Comfort

• Members

Bayh and his Republican opponent tied in Indiana, which means it's going the red way. It's a shame Bayh turned out to be so rusty and had so many bits in his past about being out of touch, as he's likely the only one who could have won his seat back. Democrats need any seat they can get as the far right drumbeat to block any Clinton SCOTUS nominee keeps building. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/indiana-senate-young-bayh-tied-230538

Edited by DRW50

• Members

There has been a pattern all along of Trump bleeding but then recovering.   To be honest I think I agree with Ann Coulter who way back said Trump would have had a tougher time against Sanders.    Hillary is just a bad candidate who has difficulty sealing the deal.   She knows her stuff and would make an excellent appointee, but running for office and selling is not her strong suit.   She couldn't beat a guy nobody ever heard of who had been a senator two years, and she has trouble maintaining a lead against a nutjob.

A lot of people don't see Trump as a nutjob though.  They see him as someone who is looking at all the manufacturing jobs leaving the country and who promises to stop it, meanwhile Hillary was initially promising to expand the new world trade order.     My old roommate from college, a bright guy who lives in a section of the country riddled with recent gang violence--gangs imported from south of the border no less.   His question is  basically "why are liberals against deporting these animals?".   Then he segues into pretty much  "and the cops are not allowed to do their job because everyone will claim they are racist".   Then he reads a memo from the school board asking children to not wear certain colors to school to reduce  gang violence and he sort of says "How crazy is this, they murder everyone and we are not allowed to hurt their gang feelings".    (I paraphrased all)    Add in the fact he is wealthy and wants to leave his kids his money when he dies, and you have a Trump supporter that is perfectly sane.     I mentioned Trump has certain anti-american ideas like basing laws on religion, and he glosses right over that because that is not on his radar.    

Edited by quartermainefan