GH: Sonny and Carly

• Members

What impact do you think they've had on GH? I mean as a couple and individually?

I often read that the problem with General Hospital(besides TPTB) are specifically these two characters.

How did they end up in each others orbit? I was always a HUGE Jarly fan so I missed majority of Sonny and Carly.

I've always felt Sonny was a monster and I only could tolerate him with the glorious Brenda Barrett.

I've always appreciated the rawness of Sarah Brown but her Carly could be beyond frustrating.

What is it about these two characters that have kept them on front burner for so long at the expense of others?

I know these are such broad questions but I am so curious to hear from you guys.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As you will see I am a big Sonny and Carly fan.

And I have been every since about Feb 1999.

I was a Jarly fan before hand, but I think that Jason and Carly will never be anything else but the best of friends who take each other as they are.

Sonny and Carly bring out the best and the worst in each other and I think that they truly complete each other.

No has been able to hurt Sonny like Carly can and vice versa and no one including Jason knows either Sonny or Carly like they know each other.

Sonny knows exactly what makes Carly tick, what she loves, what she hates and the same for Carly in regards to Sonny.

Sonny and Carly would die for each other, Jason and their children. And no matter what they are always there for each other.

• Members

Sonny and Carly represent everything wrong with GH, IMO. Ever since they were placed into one another's orbits sexually/emotionally, GH has been on a downward spiral from which it's never recovered from.

Their relationship is highly toxic, violent, and disturbing.

I was a huge Carly fan before she got tangled up with Sonny. Once the character got lost in Sonny's orbit, I didn't care for her anymore. She became, and still is, a whiny little shrew who sees Sonny as some larger than life figure. I know that BOTH Sarah Brown and Tamara Braun fought for the character's integrity and weren't happy with how Sonny obsessed Carly became, but of course, they weren't listened to.

I think the only reason Sonny and Carly aren't together right now is because Laura Wright has absolutely no chemistry with Maurice Benard, and watching those two chew the scenery in a scene together on a repeated basis is just torture.

Sonny's only ever worked with Brenda for me. Sonny and Brenda weren't anywhere near as toxic, and as Sonny obsessed as Brenda could be, I always felt her intergrity was in tact and she could deep down always see Sonny for who he was, unlike Carly.

• Members

Sonny was amazing with Brenda. He was the mobster, she was the not so good girl with a heart that showed another side of Sonny. The two of them tgoether was just magic. The passion and love. And as much chem as MB & VM had it also had a lot to do with amazing writing. Brenda gave a balance to Sonny.

Carly does not provide a balance to sonny, or him to her. Y&RWorldTurner said it best

Thats exactly them. I do think that up til the last year Tams was on GH as Carly the coupl was still inetrsting and complex and fun to watch. But then... it just fell apart and went to hell. Sonny & Carly as a couple need to die, hell Sonny eneds to die.

However, IMHO Carly as a char can be saved. This is Bobbie daughter, she is related to Lucku, Luke, and Lulu. They *NEED* to take her out of the mob orbit and throw her into that mix, and right now is the ebst tiem for that to happen with whats going on between Carly & Nikolas.

• Members

I will always LOVE and WANT Sonny & Carly back together. I actually started out being a Carly fan, when Tamara first started on GH but out of that I grew to LOVE S&C together. I could totally invest in them as a couple, and loved when Guza put them back together when he first came back to GH. I hated what GH did to both of them during CarStalker - I hated him with a passion and felt Carly was written out of character.

Now with Laura as Carly, I LOVE their chemistry and they are both such powerful actors that I enjoy the scenes they have together and I can see the possibility of Sonny & Carly getting back together and having a different kind of relationship. They have both had breakdowns and that could be used to have them develop a new way of being together. I think if they wrote a good story for them .. such as Michael coming out of his coma and all the issues that could arise from that .. that Sonny & Carly could bring back old viewers as well as new S&C fans ... the ones that had started to watch GH during the Feb 2007 Metro Court Hostage Crisis.

VIVA S&C! :)

• Members

the worst couple featuring the two worst characters.

Carly stopped being interesting the moment she met Sonny. He was never interesting ever. These two and Jason ruined GH, so many other characters were turned into complete imbeciles to justify anyone even talking to them, and the show has not made sense since. Once a character gets hooked up with them they are dumbed down and ruined forever because everyone else has to be dumbed down otherwise why would anyone have anything to do with them?

• Members

i love Sonny&Carly will always want them as a couple!!!

and the chemestry between Laura&Mo is amazing!!!

i quit watching GH because Sonny&Carly have been taken out of each others obits

but with this upcomeing week with S&C shareing scenes i`am so excited!!!! so i will be watching :D

and i can only hope that i get a S&C reuion!!!!

• Members

Fascinating characters individually, played by actors at the top of their game. Sadly, Mo looks so bored these days .

Together? They ate the show. And ruined it forever.

The worst is that they are, as Y&RWorldTurner said:

Sometimes the show likes to paint that as some great, amazing love story for the ages, but to me it is just two people who think love = pain. It is dysfunction. It is abuse. At least Brenda recognized her neediness when she was with Sonny (and even then, I was convinced that S&B's love could somehow change their world and each other for the better). Carly keeps going back for a night of MobSonny Comfort like it's the Measure of Love by which all other relationships should be measured (when she's not doing that, she's wishin' and hopin' for Jason to acknowledge their connection as Super Soulmates). She needs to check out her brain-dead son in that institution she shipped him to to see just what that Measure of Love really looks like.

Oh, wait, she already did that. Then she unzipped Sonny's fly and rode him like a rodeo in the back of his limo all the way to Port Charles. Gosh, what a romantic scene that was. :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't think I can put into words my revulsion for these characters. I hate them together, I hate them apart. I'm so sick of two such profoundly selfish humans being the centerpiece of the show.

I might be able to handle them if people would only recognize what vile human beings they are. But we have continually been told that Sonny is a "good man" who "would do anything to protect his family"--never mind the fact that his involvement in the mob has gotten everyone from Courtney to Carly to Kate shot, Lily killed, and Michael in a coma. And Carly is a "strong woman" and a "great mom." Really? Really?!? Because I hold her equally responsible for Michael's fate. She chose to raise her family with a mobster, and to surround her children in the business. And, of course, she's a life ruiner. I will never forgive her for what she did to AJ. But even aside from those major things, her day to day self is totally repugnant. As much as the show tries to encourage the image of her as an independent business woman, her days seem to be primarily filled with pouncing on and verbally abusing other women. Hate. Hate!

The air of entitlement that surrounds both of them-- Sonny deserves control of the docks, Carly deserves Nikolas's son, they both deserve Jason's undivided attention and loyalty--makes me want to scream.

These two are poison. And they are the reason I can no longer watch the show. Every character who stands against them has been marginalized. It makes me so angry, I actually cannot look at them anymore.

Four months ago I was watching the show when a new scene started and LW's patented angry face appeared on my screen. I instinctually grabbed for the remote and turned the TV off. I haven't watched since.

• Members

I used to LOVE Sonny and Carly and they will always be an important part of GH. I loved Maurice with both Sarah and Tamara, but I didn't see the chemistry between Laura Wright/Maurice, so whenever Sonny and Carly would get together (a.k.a having sex at least once a year), it would be more of an annoyance than anything. I think Carly and Jax are GREAT together and Sonny/Kate are my favorite GH couple. Both of them have moved on and hopefully the writers can too.

• Members

OK, now how on earth did you get inside my head, Graciecat?!

I didn't want to get into an outright LW bash in my previous post because everytime I talk about Carly, I bring her up because she and the character really bother me. However, I cannot get away from it... she and Mo have driven me away from GH. The writing for them has driven me away.

Like you, four months ago, I turned on my TV and saw her, mouth contorted, spewing her entitled hate and... I just couldn't stomach it anymore. After 20+ years, I have absolutely no interest in tuning back in.

Archived