GL's New Lesbian Couple: Oliva and Natailia.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Granted, I think GL will do a shite job with this story, and their motives in pursuing a lesbian storyline are hardly pure, but I don't think Olivia's past of "whoring it up with men" necessarily precludes her exploring her sexuality. Actually, I think it would make her more inclined to do so. I think she's a "sexual person" period. Also, she's historically been tremendously hurt by men (including raped at a young age).

IRL, people like Olivia experiment with their sexuality all the time; daytime is about forty years late to that fact. She could very well go back to men, but I wouldn't be shocked that she sampled the ill na na every now and then.

That said, who the hell is watching GL?

• Members

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Olivia I could totally buy going lesbian; she can do anything. But with Natalia? They're just throwing [!@#$%^&*] at the wall! Natalia the Catholic girl who has only ever wanted men and despises Olivia? What?

Personally my choice for a story like this was to bring back Kimberly Brown as Marah and recast Vicky Spaulding and throw them together.

• Members

Olivia possibly, but Natalia? Haha no way. Not the catholic girl.

Gah Ellen go back to running the show and stop spreading rumors about the sh!tfest you've made of GL.

If GL wanted to do a lesbian storyline they should have gone with Dinah. If you replaced the Cyrus character with a female one, you would have still had a ex-con Dinah worked with in Europe after Hart's murder and who's to say there wouldn't have been some attraction between the two.

• Members

Well for bad or good, this lesbian will at least give GL a look.

I am sure the story won't have the same feel for a newbie and longtermers. But the consensus here is pretty negative, so I don't have my hopes up are anything. In fact the reaction would scare off some folks. I am experienced at getting my teeth kicked in at ABC-gay related stories, so I feel armored enough to check it out (should the rumor be true).

• Members

Today they started foreshadowing this with Olivia looking at Natalia as if she's finally discovering how special she is. She offered her a job and seemed very passionate about Natalia's success in life. Very big shift considering their history. The two actually aren't bad together. It could be a watchable story.

I watch GL for characters and this week will be heavy on Billy/Vanessa, so that's a reason to tune in. Any bit of Remy and Mel is worth watching and now I'll have this to check out.

• Members

I think my record for calling out Ellen Wheeler on her rampant incompetence is pretty solid but to be honest, I don't see what's so terrible or offensive about this idea. Is it a desperate stunt to gain attention? Yes, I'm sure it is but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea. The big problem with it is that just like with Reva's cancer, Olivia's rape, and Harley's post-traumatic stress disorder and panic attacks, this is a good idea that desperately needs proper execution if it's going to work but this writing staff has shown itself to be horrible in terms of story execution. The writing for this being bad is probably a given but the writing's terrible for everything anyway, so why not try giving these actresses, especially CC, something to daring to sink their teeth into instead of having them wandering around eating lunch in a parking lot next to a port-o-potty, on camera.

I could definitely see something developing between Liv and Natalia and wouldn't have a problem with it. Not all people who get into same-sex relationships, especially later in life, have questioned their sexuality before. Sometimes it's only about a special connection with this particular person of the same sex, not a permanent change in their basic orientation. The key though is the old adage that all story is backstory. They need to use both characters backstories in this if it's going to work and there's plenty there for them to mine if they want to.

Now, there's never been a question that Olivia is sexually attracted to men. Whether or not she likes or trusts them after having been raped and impregnated by the man who is now the town's District Attorney who has been practically canonized into sainthood by most of the town simply because of his association with Reva and having become temporarily obsessed with him as a way to pretend that the rape never happened added to all the broken, painful relationships she's had with other men is a totally different story. I can easily see Olivia being so sickened and disgusted by her contact with men over the years, particularly her rapist Jeffrey, that she finds it freeing to be with a woman, especially one with whom she has so much in common. She and Natalia are both grieving. They're both feeling lost in their lives. They both had children in trouble. And they've both had bad romantic experiences with men. For this to work however, Olivia's rape must be acknowledged for what it really was: rape and to hell with sanctifying Jeffrey.

As for Natalia, the fact that she's a strict Catholic gives them alot of good story material, if they're smart enough to use it. There are alot of religious people who struggle with the discovering and acknowledging gay or bisexual feelings after having been raised their whole lives to believe that those things are choices and sinful ones at that. There could be so much good story here, especially with Father Ray in the mix as Natalia's friend and confessor. Plus, while she loved Gus, he had been her high school sweetheart and she never had any other man in her life after him? That always seemed a little odd to me but maybe it wasn't just some overwhelming love for Gus and hope that he would return that kept her alone all those years. They could explore that as well.

I certainly don't see how doing this could possibly be any more offensive than what they're all ready doing.

Reva marrying Olivia and Cassie's rapist and allowing herself to get knocked-up by him is more offensive.

Beth marrying Alan after all the horrible things he did to her and Phillip, having his baby, dumping Rick for him, and allowing him to make her feel guilty for having the gall to go to law school without his permission and approval is more offensive.

Dinah sleeping with Tammy's murderer is more offensive.

Marina sleeping with her godfather in his ex-wife, her aunt's, abandoned house is more offensive.

Alex existing as nothing but Alan's obsequious little sycophant rather than attempting to save Spaulding from he and Bill's egotistical insanity is more offensive.

An honest relationship between Olivia and Natalia, using their pasts as motivation, would be Shakespeare compared to any of the above "stories".

Archived