Any Capitol Fans Here?

• Members

Out of all the soaps that were around in the second Golden Age, Capitol seemed like it was the soap that would have been the most relevant today (provided they had the benefit of a strong "with it" writing staff) but I get the feeling as though Capitol didn't have the support from they needed from network in order to remain on-air.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I find it interesting that Capitol had the luck hiring writers such as O'Shea and Slesar, even the Corringtons. It's kind of sad that one single writing regime (it's last) kind of undid the work of all those previous regimes and led to it being cancelled.

• Members

This link was to the Capitol Megasite, ran by a lovely Italian gentleman named Claudio, but unfortunately the site is no longer online. Too bad because there were many pictures, articles, and of course things like the bibles, that I haven't seen anywhere else.

What I remember most about the original bible was that the Cleggs vs. the McCandlesses wasn't nearly as central. Even more interesting was the strong emphasis on ingenue, Merle, a beautiful biracial coed. From what I remember, it was implied that she could almost pass but was always aware of the difference between herself and her white housemates. I think it was also implied that there was mystery surrounding her parentage. Regrettably, all of this was dropped.

(On second thought, perhaps it was for the best.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm so used to seeing Jess Walton with big ass hair but she looks good here with the Diana hair. 

Was this Prince Ali arc some type of 1980s Arabian Nights story? Really Capitol, you're trying to pass a White Australian with dark hair and a tan as Middle Eastern? Maybe in the 1980s daytime casting directors could get away with that nonsense.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Going from Henry Slesar to James Lipton as head writer. Big mistake. Henry's version of Capitol was somewhat boring but he was finding his footing.  Lipton was all gimmick.  Conboy didn't know how to nurture and support a strong head writer.  He went through the Corringtons, Peggy O'Shea and Henry in a few short years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I loved Capitol, and being from DC was excited to see a show not done in the mid-west or west coast.  I watched it from beginning to end.  I liked the Sloane and Prince Ali story, and I remember the actor who played Jordy Clegg (Todd Curtis) getting into a car accident in real life and they wrote it into the show.  Back then I remember one of the Soap Magazines (Soap Opera Digest), voting them the best looking cast on Daytime.