KNOTS LANDING

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If only we could photoshop Claudia Lonow and her idiotic expression out of that photo.

And boy did KL's female cast need a splash of color, if you know what I'm saying. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Another comment about the "Women of KL" photo upthread:  most of the women want to put their hands on their hips in a stereotypically haughty fashion...but not Miss Julie Harris.  As usual, she ain't here for the cliches.  That's why I love that woman to this day.

• Members

Yeah, they did Annie Get Your Gun in Colorado when she was 18. Diane Sawyer asked Joan how Applewhite was onstage and Joan said that he was wonderful, had great energy, and you could tell that he really wanted to be there. Joan didn’t sense any struggle within him, but felt that he was isolated.

• Members

That's what I thought.  Thanks much, @SFK!

Even back then, when the HG story broke, and everybody (myself included) was cracking jokes about "Jesus on a comet" and the tennis shoes, I felt Applewhite wasn't a sociopath like David Koresh or Jim Jones, but a man whose inner, personal demons had conquered him and caused him to lose his way.  I truly felt sorry for him and his followers, who seemed like "nice" people who just didn't know how to fit in with the rest of society.  Maybe that isn't the full and true story, but at least those were my impressions at the time.  I still feel that way.

Tying it back into KL, I feel like Joshua would have been the perfect vehicle to tell a story about religious cults - how they begin, how they grow, and how they eventually end.  Of course, that kind of story was likely beyond even the scope of a weekly, one-hour show like KNOTS.

Edited by Khan