KNOTS LANDING

• Members

Thanks for keeping these recaps coming.

That line from Val is a great example of the plot-over-character motif of these years, and one of the reasons JVA was likely so unhappy. They likely put that in so viewers would feel her pain more when she was made a mug of. All it really did was just spit on her character's history for a man and a relationship that was never, ever believable.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Knots Landing"bottle episodes" are some of my favorites and they differentiate Knots from other prime time soaps.  Bottle Episodes are when a few characters are stuck in a single set for most of an entire episode.  I remember an early episode when the women go to a house owned by a family member of Abby and Karen (through her dead husband).  There is the Abby/Olivia drug episode.  There is also a bottle episode with Mack.  These types of episodes were necessary for budget and writing when each season required more than 22 episodes.  However, while the other soaps would depend on flashbacks or clip episodes I always appreciated Knots quirky single-episode stories.

• Members

I loved the Three sisters episode (the women heading to a house on the market where it's haunted by ghosts).  Showcased a lot of Val's internal struggles.. as well as showing off Laura's astute observation skills.. and Abby being the prankster/trouble maker (who ended up with photographic proof of ghosts).

• Members

EPISODE 11: TWICE VICTIM

A classic Knots episode. Although it gives Val the shaft once again (more on that later), it’s a wonderful exploration of rape that manages to feel both soapy and gritty at the same time. Exclusively focusing on the Danny/Amanda/Gary/Val story, it leaves majors like Greg, Paige, as well as the supporting cast, out of this one.

Shackelford and Peyser turn in excellent performances as Gary approaches Amanda about her rape and helps her through the process of reporting it, getting examined, and ultimately being disappointed in the outcome. It’s all very sad and dramatic, but one has to chuckle a little at Gary constantly being surprised (Amanda was raped – Danny was the one who raped her – Amanda slept with Danny just two weeks ago – Val's engaged).

Amanda is given a couple of very good speeches here: First, she erupts when Gary wants to go beat up Danny, desperate to avoid the endless cycle of payback that’s about to get ignited. Then, she reveals she thought of herself as dirty following the rape and catches herself saying that she 'admitted' to being raped. This is where the episode comes the closest to sounding like an after-school special, but nevertheless, its condemnation of the misogynistic way rape gets handled (what coincidence to be watching this while the Weinstein scandals reign supreme) is noteworthy, even if it does feel at times they’re just checking off boxes.

Gary turns to both Mack and Karen for help and advice before telling Val that Danny raped Amanda. "She says she was raped by Danny!" Listen, Val's reaction is normal, even expected. Why would she believe her? She does have reasons to lie. And, Danny is Val's biggest love (rolls eyes). But the Val I know would have voiced these concerns before choosing to believe the woman in this situation… or, if she couldn’t, it would take one long, meaningful moment staring into Gary's eyes, and she would have known it’s true. A greatly acted scene from Shackelford and Van Ark but my blood pressure was through the roof. Of course, this is only happening like this so the Danny/Val relationship continues, sacrificing Val's character for the sake of the plot.

That being said, the whole thing is sorta saved by the final two glorious scenes. Gary lures a smug Danny to the ranch to discuss helping Amanda in what is one of the best Gary scenes, and instead goes after him with a baseball bat until Danny is on the floor, whimpering with fear. In those few minutes, Gary metaphorically raped Danny by completely taking away control of Danny's life and making him feel helpless and scared. "Did you enjoy it, Danny?" he asks kind of sexily. Oh, yes we did.

Meanwhile, as Amanda readies to kill herself by taking care of a variety of chores, she gets a knock at the door: It’s two young girls selling magazine subscriptions in order to save to go to college. Their joy, optimism, and enthusiasm touches Amanda and she orders a bunch of subscriptions, changing her mind about her suicide. She stands there, smiling widely as we fade to credits, an unexpected, touching, poignant ending.  

• Members

Agree.

"Twice Victim" had its moments, but I think KL did a much better job of handling this issue in the first-season episode, "The Lie."  There, Laura's rape was less a plot twist and more an exploration of her character, especially in regards to her relationships with men.

Edited by Khan

• Members

You're welcome.

It really did spit on everything. I agree that's likely why they did it, but I don't see why they would -- having to date and kiss Danny was painful enough and I'm pretty sure the audience already felt for her!

Without a doubt. I don't think "The Lie" can ever be topped, and the focus on plot here is clear. Still, a decent exploration of rape and a really good episode for the latter era of the series.

• Members

EPISODE 12: WHAT A SWELL PARTY THIS IS

If you told me a few weeks ago there’d be an episode mostly focused on Michael and Linda's story and that I’d like it, I would have never believed you. But what a swell ride this was.

Michael's birthday is the catalyst for most of the events in the episode. While Karen and Mack are busy planning and then unplanning a party, Michael focuses on helping his newest shouldn’t-have-feelings-for-her girl find an apartment. What a lovely surprise when Eric returns. The scene in which he apologizes to Michael for scamming him out of a baseball card when they were young is touching and heartbreaking, both in its irony and because you can totally see this happening between the two of them back then.

I can’t believe we’ve watched these two kids grow up all these years. When Eric tells Michael that he thought growing up would be easier, it carries so much weight.

Tom kisses Paige until she agrees to play hooky with him. They try to find things in common they’d like to do but end up back in bed. Greg spotting them outside and telling Paige he’s glad she’s feeling better is hilarious. Speaking of Greg, he brings Paula to the ranch hoping to have sex with her but Paula, astute as she is, can tell she’s nothing more than a diversion and refuses to give it up unless Greg burns with passion for her. I did very much like her in this scene.

The Harold/Olivia situation is kind of comically tragic. They argue over money again, then they argue over arguing in general, and then they fight about how they fight. Looking back at how they met, got married, as well as their ages (particularly Olivia's), it’s no surprise that things are imploding so spectacularly. Still, that final scene where Olivia throws her ring into the glass of water and leaves the house resonates a lot. I don’t know what it is, but I could see so much of Abby in Olivia here.

Following a brief visit from Val (where she says she won’t let another one of Gary's demented lovers ruin her life – and she’s got a point), we get a lot of funny moments during Michael's party. Although Mort bringing a blow-up doll to a party full of his colleagues is too close to sitcom humor, one can’t deny Karen catching Mack trying to deflate it was very amusing. I loved all the little bits of Karen and Mack deciding to mingle with their son’s friends and then realizing they’d rather by upstairs eating chocolate cake in bed.

Underneath all the shenanigans, the Michael/Eric/Linda situation is finally boiling over and it all comes to a head when Linda runs off in tears. Karen later finds her crying downstairs and thinks she’s about to comfort her but instead gets shocked into a freezeframe when she is told Michael is who Linda wants to be with!   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

@Soaplovers @YRBB @Khan @DRW50 Thanks for responding to my post and sorry for not replying before now.

Finishing S8 was both great and bittersweet, saying goodbye to Ben (still pissed at how they messed up his character over the past two seasons -- Ben and Val together were hot and sweet once upon a time) and to Peter Hollister. Peter imo was killed off too soon and could have triggered some good stories for another season, especially bouncing around between Paige, Abby and Olivia. He was such a shady, mysterious character without being a complete moustache-twirling villain.

However, the season finale (where Abby hides the body just out of sight of the Lotus Point dining room, sweating all night long that it will be discovered, then finally dumps the body under the concrete of the new children's park) was a great episode. I consider this almost a 'bottle episode' which I think somebody mentioned earlier. The tension, suspense and detail as Abby works overtime to dispose of the body was incredible. I actually LOLed a few times, not least when Abby went to all that trouble of shovelling gravel over him in the middle of the night, hiding from a security guard, then she strolls back to the parking lot... and sees Peter's car. Sh*t. She has to scramble back to the work site, dig up Peter again and fish around in his slacks for his car keys. 

Please register in order to view this content

I was also amazed that Abby's long, flowey cream dress did not get a spatter of blood, dirt or gravel on it as she hauled Peter's body all over the place, cleaned up the blood at Lotus Point AND dug him into his final grave! I would have torched that outfit! Incriminating DNA must have been all over it!

Going into S9, I am not feeling the Fairgate boys' significant others, including that Jodie girl. I also keep LMAO at the new opening credits. The very beginning with its evocative music and close-up on the swirly paint and writing is gorgeous and very 80s (very Y&R in a way). But LORD the way the cast has to turn to camera in that opening.  William Devane and Kevin Dobson both look like they want to shoot themselves. And Joan Van Ark's new hairdo, holy late 80s.

Finally, when is Nicolette Sheridan ever going to join the opening credits?? C'mon now. 

Edited by Cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

EPISODE 13: OH, BROTHER

The stuff with Greg and Paula was enjoyable: Her demand that he show her that she’s all he can think about provided some interesting humorous actions from Greg. Meanwhile, I don’t know what to make of Aunt Ginny's psychic abilities; it’s not like she wasn’t annoying enough as it is. I’m not objecting to the actual abilities, and the show proves her right by having her divine the rape. But why does it have to look so goofy? Why does she have to put some-thing on her forehead and gasp orgasmically? Might as well shove it up her hoo hoo. I did love how Gary tried to give her a gun and she chewed him a new one, though. Most of the focus of the episode is on the fallout from Michael and Linda's emotional affair. Eric overhears Michael and Linda talking, finds out they want to pork each other, promptly punches Michael, and disappears. It’s actually pretty sad. After Eric leaves, Linda moves out, and then Michael moves out. Karen looks like somebody bitchslapped her.

• Members

EPISODE 14: ROAD TRIP

Named ‘road trip’ but nobody actually takes one. Having a little difficulty coming up with a title there, Knots?

Paige goes to Tom's really ugly apartment and tells him she’ll try anything once. Alas, she doesn’t get the chance to prove it because Mack calls Tom and asks him to come to Canada with him: He’s found Pomerantz. It turns out much better/interesting than I would have anticipated. I mean, they served grilled swordfish on that flight to Canada. Was the world really that different?

Most of the fun in the episode comes from Tom's gargantuan efforts to trick Mack, Mr. Willis, and Joe the stupid hitman all at the same time. It’s really something as he zigzags from lie to lie and manipulation to manipulation. In the end, he gets away with it: Mack gets the pension fund scam books from Pomerantz and remains alive, Joe (after suffering a litany of stupid jokes from Tom, all of them very funny) is arrested while trying to shoot them all, and Mr. Willis is told Pomerantz is dead and he should disappear. Not bad for a day’s work… until he realizes the one person he didn’t fool was Paige.

Amanda is having dinner with Gary and his corny jokes, when she begins hallucinating seeing Danny. Well, that’s enough to drive anyone crazy. She goes into hiding for the rest of the episode.

Meanwhile, Karen and Valene share a beautifully tender moment in the MacKenzie kitchen when discussing Meg's clothes and Karen mentions some of these things are clothes Laura bought her. They exchange a look before moving on without saying a word. Valene then pushes Karen to admit she doesn’t like Danny.

Karen is also trying to mend fences between Michael and Eric when she learns that Olivia and Harold have separated. "What is happening with everyone?" she bitterly asks in a small but very strong moment. I definitely didn’t see the next part of Olivia and Harold's money woes coming: Harold gambles to make some extra cash (loses big) and Olivia somehow manages to get sucked into insider trading. Naturally, the seed money for that comes from Gary, who oh so naively and sweetly tells Olivia that, unlike Abby, she has integrity. Olivia chuckles and shakes her head in the exact same way Abby used to do when someone gave her what she wanted. I hope it was a purposeful thing.

And just as I was wondering if all Mr. Willis does is sit by a phone all day, he shakes things up: He tells someone that their pension fund scam has been discovered. That someone is of course, naturally, who else… Greg!

Edited by YRBB

• Members

EPISODE 15: MY FIRSTBORN

What a shocker of an episode. Season 11 continues to twist and surprise.

A marvelous showcase for Greg. After being a relatively nice romantic lead in recent episodes, his more villainous side resurfaces. He’s such a fascinating and complex man. I find it hilarious that after all Mack went through to get the evidence he needed in the Oakman case, the D.A. simply says he’ll look into it. When Mack discovers Greg is behind Oakman (so fast!), the truth about the pension fund goes public and Greg hilariously and quickly fires Mr. Willis and blames him for everything.

Exactly how much money does Michael make? Not only has he been spending money left and right, he has thousands of dollars just lying around to lend to Harold. At least, by the time Harold loses it all, the show brings us back to reality and Michael needs the money back to afford a new apartment. I’m seeing even more money-related trouble for our fiscally challenged young couple. I do hope the show surprises us, since it’s easy to see where the rest of the story is going.

Big head-scratching moment, the young man and woman saying goodbye. Is this Knots Landing? Did the wrong film get edited into the show? No, t’s Mary-Frances!!! What?! Show, what do you do to me? I was initially saddened to see the original, great actress was recast, but I have to say, they did some marvelous casting here. Despite the new person, I instantly felt like I was watching Mary-Frances. "I’m Mary-Frances!" says Mary-Frances to Karen. "I bet your father didn’t even recognize you!" replies Karen. We could have done without all that. Mack and Karen tell Mary-Frances the whole story of Greg and Laura getting together (is it possible Mary-Frances didn’t know who Laura was just from when she lived right next door to her?), that she has a sister, that Laura died, that Greg gave Meg away. That’s a lot of soap to catch up with in one dinner.

As always, the show doesn’t cut any corners when it’s invested in the story its telling. Not only do they rebuild Season 5’s campaign headquarters set for a fake flashback with the new Mary-Frances, Greg's hair looks exactly like it would during that season, and we get Devane’s son to come back as young Greg once more! Such thrillingness. And then… oh boy, that ending. You know something’s about to happen. Surely Mary-Frances will find something terrible on Greg's computer? But, no! The whole computer explodes, Greg runs back into his office, finds a bullet hole in the glass behind his desk and Mary-Frances … what? Unconscious? Shot in the head? Surely not dead! A mouth-agape, gasp-loudly kinda ending.

• Members

Your recaps are a good read, as usual. I had forgotten about that scene with Olivia and Gary but now it's so clear in my head. The show didn't really know what to do with Olivia after the Peter story. 

What they did with Mary Catherine was very cleverly done - it would shock viewers even in these more jaded times.