KNOTS LANDING

• Members

So many possibilities with that scenario, which could have happened at any time throughout Season 7. It could be one of the Empire Valley people, letting Gary know that they mean business. Or either Joshua before his death or a crazy fan after his death. Or an unbalanced Cathy or Lilimae. Or even save it for the end of the season and have Bobby and Betsy, not Karen, be held by Phil Harbert.

After that, though, Bobby and Betsy would never be allowed to be kidnapped again. Wouldn't want to overdo it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm watching season 6.

Its interesting how differently you see shows as an adult and as a teen.

I find Cathy and Joshua so dull. Cathy is just a dull version of CJ.  Joshua is an [!@#$%^&*].

The whole Galveston story is boring   I lost interest in it pretty quickly. 

The best part is Val story.

Season 5 was better!

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Actually, @Soapsuds, I think William Devane's performances as Greg Sumner helped me get through several of the later seasons.  I never get tired of watching how he approaches dialogue.  He has this ability to say the most normal things in the most abnormal but surprising ways.

Edited by Khan

• Members

We did see a hint of that during Val's 'poor Jill' rant after Jill spoke to the twins and asked them not to tell her.

And let's not forget the whole reason for Val's breakdown was thinking she lost her 2nd chance at being a mom after having Lucy taken from her.  And add to that no one believing her that she heard the twins cry..and you just knew she would crack.

She could survive losing Gary both times since she managed to pull herself up by the boot straps and made a life for herself...but losing her 2nd chance at motherhood (not from the babies dying, but being stolen)..out of the question.

In fact, season 8 Jean Hackney story would have been a bit better had she threatened to harm or take the twins due to Ben not adhering to her orders to kill Greg.  So Val would resent Ben..Ben would do anything to protect Val/twins..and Laura/Val's friendship would be affected.  And perhaps I would have killed Ben...who died to protect Val/twins.

And it would be an organic obstacle for Val/Gary since she would always put Ben on a higher pedestal then Gary going forward...and feel guilt for resenting Ben.

• Members

I thought Joshua had a terrifying intensity that fascinated me at the time.  It seemed so contemporary to have this charismatic evangelical and his gospel-singing wife who eclipsed his fame (I doubt a network would dare to risk alienating its religious base today by telling a similar story).  Everyone around him is thinking about profits, but he is a manically true believer  I really enjoyed that plot, and I thought it was a creative and unique story for primetime.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Network and this plot reminded me of Faye Dunaway and Howard Beale dynamic. I really liked Abby's subtext throughout the story.  At first, she approaches Joshua like he's a rube that will be easy to manipulate, a mistake that she often made about the men in her life.  Then, she tries to bond with him as if they both know that all of his preachings are fraudulent.  And, finally, she comes to realize that he's nuts. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

On this we will agree, but I won't repeat myself more than usual as I've gone over most of my thoughts on it in the last few pages. But yes, I think the Joshua story is excellent through Season 6 at least.

• Members

Devante could do anything and could bring even the most boring actors to life (Melinda Culea comes to mind). I still hate we never got to see the rest of the Val/Sumner storyline that started in season 13. That was a pairing I never knew I needed, but their chemistry was insane and I wish we could’ve seen that play out. It would’ve really enhanced the final season. 

• Members

I would agree. I did lose some interest by the final few seasons (which was true for the show as a whole - I am not even sure how much of late season 13 and 14 I have gone through), but I do not think I could have gotten through 1988-1991 without Devane. He managed to make what was on paper a very unsympathetic character feel very genuine to me, especially his love for his daughters. I knew that my moral compass for Knots-world had been shattered for good when I kept willing him to take Meg back from the home of happy DIRTY COP DIRTY COP DIRTY COP sanctimony.

Edited by DRW50