How about Renee Elise Goldsberry as the new Drucilla on Y&R?

• Members

I have to say part of me misses my REG so much. OMG that woman had the whole total freaking package IMO and she was by far the most frontburner African American actress in daytime. She is gorgeous, smart, talented and OMG the woman had chemistry with anyone. I think she could be the new Drucilla on Y&R or she could be a new african american character. It is freaking crying shame REG is not in daytime right now. She must return, she is way too talented to be off of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NO.....I want her back as Evangeline and no-one else (but with RC at the helm, I don't ever see her return happening *sigh*...shes not connected to OLTL's past so shes expendable :rolleyes: ).

But on top-of-that....The role of Drucilla requires a certain type of "street " & "sass" and although REG is a great actress, I just don't think she could pull it off convincingly.

• Members

^ Exactly, although I loved VR she ALWAYS made Dru OVER-THE-TOP (and the role in a sense called for that)...REG has a more natural, reserved style of acting. That would be horrendous to make her Dru, just as it would have been to have VR as Evangeline (as the rumor awhile ago suggested, that would have BEEN A WHOLE different kind of Evangeline.).

• Members

REG was someone who got me, a sporadic viewer, to tune into OLTL. I personally loved her chemistry with Michael Easton, mostly because she was so good at playing the longing.

But I agree with others here...apart from age differences, REG is not fierce...and I have difficulty picturing her as such.

I suspect there are many fierce actresses out there...in that age range....done correctly, I think this could work.

What they should do is take someone who never met Dru (like Cane, right?), and send him somewhere for an extended assignment.

There, he could meet and befriend a FIERCE woman of color who is down on her luck...maybe even amnesiac.

This woman could be the recast Dru. EXCEPT they wouldn't tell us that. Like Cane, we'd meet her as a stranger...and grow to love her in her own right.

Then, once we love her, Cane could convince her to come to Genoa City. (Maybe, for example, she demonstrates incredible skill with cosmetics and fashion and hair on a low budget, and Cane feels she could revive the sagging Tuvia or Saffra or whatever line). The amnesiac, because she has no real life, and because she likes and respects Cane (non-romantically) agrees.

Cane decides to "present" her to Jabot and the people in his life...look at my incredible new find! And when they all see her, there is an audible intake of gasps. Because it is DRU! And Cane never knew it.

If Cane did know Dru (I can't remember), it could be someone else (Chloe)..... But you get my drift.

If they take their time getting us to know and like this recast as not-Dru....she could become Dru with high acceptance. And, if the character is working, but they are afraid she won't be accepted as Dru, she could be introduced as a new "fierce" woman of color.

Let's face it...if we don't get VR back...maybe it IS best to let the character be dead...and fill the void with a new character and actress. That would give us more to discover as an audience.

• Members

As a fan of both actresses, I have to say no. The age difference is the most obvious reason but there's the intangibles that others have mentioned.

And as an aside, I think that neither Dru nor Evangeline should be recast. Both actresses put a special stamp on those characters. Druscilla especially is a soap icon. Some people are fond of saying that any role can be recast and that's true but, IMO, not every role should.

• Members

REG was the best thing that happen to OLTL & the low ratings proves it. They got rid of REG/Evangeline & they got rid a of me as new viewer.

REG isn't Dru she's too young. But I don't mind her coming in as another black character. If they won't & can't bring VR back I rather Dru stay gone. Until people are willing ot kiss some ass.

• Members

Um, hell no, she's way too young and so un-fierce. Renee is better suited to play heroine type roles.

I'm not saying Dru can't be recast, but they have to find the right actress and have to have the right writing in place. Rowell said it best when she said that no one was irreplaceable. They also have to wait a good amount of time if they're going to recast.

Archived