How about Renee Elise Goldsberry as the new Drucilla on Y&R?

• Members

Nice to know someone else feels the way I do where REG is concerned.

We are in the minority.

As much as OLTL sucks right now (I am down to watching a day a week or whenever AE is on)--

the thought that Evangeline will probably some day wake from her coma and return to the show and once again overtake all of the airtime with the completely charisma-less and overrated John McBain has me turning off OLTL forever.

I have generally loved OLTL's cast throughout the years as they are very talented. But the last 5-7 years the casting department has done horribly.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No way. I like REG but she ain't Dru.

Frankly, I don't think Dru is a role, if I was EP of Y&R, I'd ever recast. Instead, I'd hire Renee Jones (Lexie of DAYS) to take on the fierce 'take no prisoners' diva. Basically, Dru but not actually Dru because I don't think audiences would be comfortable with a recast.

• Members

I mean if they can recast Jack and Jill successfully, they can recast just about anyone these days.

The audience might not like it at first, but the show must and will go on.

A lot of people don't like the Victoria recast, but they went there and the show went on. Heather Tom is just as connected to Victoria as Victoria Rowell is to Drucilla.

• Members

Yes, but there are some very important differences between these recasts and the suggested Dru recast: William J. Bell was still there, he was still lending his awesome writing to the characters and most probably was the one who approved those recasts of Jack and Jill (btw, REG is certainly no Jess Walton).

With less-than-good writing and EPing, we can see what a recast can do (AH). I have no reason to believe that they would handle the recast correctly--the new Dru would be as much hated as the NuVictoria! :(

• Members

Actually, its "these days" that make it that much harder. When Jack was recast there was no YouTube, message boards or fansites. Recasts were more accepted because people had nothing but their memories. But now people who don't like a recast can just log onto a site to find a million other people who don't like the recast and all the video "evidence" to back up why so-and-so was the "real" and this one is just a placeholder.

• Members

And that's a shame, the character should always be more important than the actor, at least IMO.

It seems like a recent phenomena where recasts seem to be universally hated. Yet in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's they happened and fans and shows moved on.

I suspect if the recast is very good, and the writing is there, it could be successful. Shows should never cater to fanbases, that's what's apart of daytime's current downfall.

• Members

Whoever the Drucilla recast is, if they are going to recast this role needs to have a strong daytime background...

TraceyRossP2005.jpg

Tracey Ross - Passions

Renee%20Jones%20P.jpg

Renee Jones - DAYS

AmeliaMarshallL.jpg

Amelia Marshall - Passions/Guiding Light (Someone else suggested her and I love the idea)

YvonnaWrightL2006.jpg

Jump Ship Honey! Yvonna Wright - Guiding Light

Archived