Y&R: TV Guide Confirms JG is out and his replacement!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. Some recent quotes:

By the way--Shirl is really struck by how much Adam looks like a young Peter Bergman. (Not identical, but they favor each other).

So, she is wondering if there is ANY way--during one of Victor and Hope's downtimes, when Jack was a close friend to Hope, if they could have remotely conceived Adam together. It is a retcon, but it WOULD be delish. Surprisingly, Shirl seems to be in favor of the idea. So am I. I warm to it more and more every day.

father_son.jpg

• Members

Ah, but of course, you know I didn't paste in my many disagreements with her :-).

Shirl and I tend to go "point for point" for VERY long posts :).

I think, for me, part of it has to do with having no interest in revisiting glory days. As much as I have always loved Y&R, I usually find the old nostalgia clips briefly fun...but not that compelling. They are old. Stylistically and artistically, they represent the past.

So, in that sense, I am excited to see Y&R try to continue to reach for relevance in the modern era.

For example, when Y&R went to HD...I cheered. That was a fundamental investment in keeping the show fresh and technically relevant. (You also know I think the show is just visually beautiful).

When LML brought in faster pacing, more dynamic sets, some interesting and ethnically diverse new performers (back in the day...I thought that Emily O'Brien and Eyal Podell and Adrienne Frantz all had great potential....Eric Steinberg too), HUMOR and dialogue with greater realism...every one of these things seemed to be an improvement to me. Although I didn't like it, I even appreciated the attempt to make the music more up-to-date.

Of course, LML failed (I believe) not because of the above improvements, but because of a cognitive inability (a true frontal lobe dysfunction, IMO) to keep it all together. Thus, the plots became outlandish, the historical accuracy of characters and motivations was loss, some key players were (falsely) squandered. Suddenly the plot lines and character motivations became inconsistent from day to day, and it was clear that quality control had fallen to the wayside. Episode-to-episode variations meant the show no longer sounded "like the show" (to quote Kay Alden).

I truly believe that LML's "renovations" would have updated the show, while keeping its footing in its past, if she simply would have been more capable of keeping the whole package under control. Instead, she delegated too much...and the show fell apart...lost identity...lost connection with its own past.

So, in the later LML regime, the show WAS at risk of derailing.

But that is over now. The show is literally back on track.

I personally like (I am wary, cautious, have few long-term positive expectations) that not all of the stylistic modernizations of the LML era have been cast aside. The younger characters STILL sound different from classic Bell dialogue. The look (Restless Style!) and and pacing is still not as it once was. I applaud the show for trying to (now, more gradually) propel the show into a new era.

I have written elsewhere that shows need to give up this idea of lasting for decades. Indeed, the marketplace seems to be taking care of this excessive longevity problem.

But, as someone whose heart is in Genoa City, I also am far from ready to let it go. To that end, any attempt to keep the show from stagnation (stylistically, narratively, linguistically, production-wise) makes me happy.

[but I am also the guy who applauds P&G for TRYING the Ellen Wheeler GL experiment, even if it was doomed to fail. If we don't try new things, sheer staleness with kill the creative enterprise].

• Members

For me, it's actually sad — and I might be totally wrong here since I haven't lurked around the groups for quite some time — that there are so few people discussing soaps there. And no one even speaks about As the World Turns or Guiding Light (God forbid!). It's constantly Y&R, Y&R, Y&R...

I think I might have contradicted my earlier statement in that we should try to get Y&R in the 21st century. But it's not that I want the old Y&R completely, I just want that same quality of storytelling. Which isn't there.

As for the visual aspect, all American soaps are far behind European, Australian and Central/South American ones. They have long ago changed the whole production aspects and look like some primetime shows.

I think she failed because she deeply hated Y&R. And took a job just because of money and the hope that she will be called to write for another soap.

• Members

Well, that is partly my fault. The number of correspondents at usenet falls and falls and falls...DonnaB says that is trans-group and international. Message boards and myspace, etc., have supplanted usenet. So what is left there is a shrinking pool of stalwart old folks like me.

Even DonnaB barely posts (there, here) anymore. Roger Newcomb says it is precisely us older folks (he said 50+) who are leaving daytime at the fastest rate. I wonder if that is true. Usenet seems to support it.

The other thing is that ratsc is currently awash in Off Topic (OT) threads...endless...and like weeds, that has kind of overwhelmed the soap discussion.

In terms of posting frequency, I'd say the ranking is more like:

Y&R

ATWT

B&B

GL

But you are correct that Y&R is the leader. In the last few months, I think I have been a main thread starter (and Y&R is my thing)...because so few other threads have been started.

I would say, though, that the general tenor of discussion regarding all the soaps is "disgust"...and that inhibits discussion.

That makes my blood cold.

So you think she was like Gloria Monty. Anti-soap, wanting to turn Y&R into something more like primetime?

I always thought she liked the show and its characters, and tried to make it more relevant. But you may have a good point.

• Members

I sort of think she wanted to make her own imprint, to make it more alike to her primetime shows. She never really cared and I get the feeling she was bored to death watching it while they payed her to do so as a consultant. At that point, she probably realised she wouldn't know how to write for it but why would she give up on the money? So she decided to accept the HW position.

I think she likes daytime, only not Y&R. Possibly she even had a subconscious wish to destroy the soap she was so jealous of.

I'm making all this stuff up, but I fear it might be true.

Spot on!

• Members

I thought all those dinner/lunch meetings sounded cool...like she really wanted to get into the heads and history of the characters.

Apparently this was nothing but smoke and mirrors.

But it DID seem to keep the actors on her side for quite some time.

Archived