Veteran Characters

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree about the Vega boys although I feel like there might be a tiny bit of life left in Antonio. Cristian, however, is a toxic black hole. I blame a good deal of it on DF's vehement desire take the character "dark." And I agree, Nora's tapped out.

• Members

At least KDLR tries to improve his portrayal of Antonio. DF has always been a one note actor- no imagination, no method, no charm, no range. I was so excited when I thought his character was exiting the show this summer- and then they practically begged him to stay. I could see him working in film- where he would get more takes,and possibly shorter shots- but soaps are not for him. Supposedly he's going into some triangle in the fall whereby he'll be asked to remove his clothing for another lucky lady.(hangs head and sighs) Another season of reruns.

• Members

One problem with some of these veteran characters is that ,over time,TPTB lose interest in them and their histories,so that they either whither on the backburner,rehash past stories or act totally out of character.

There doesn't seem to be any long term interest in characters in general-it's more about what is attention grabbing now.

Also,the vet charcters can become isolated as the other characters around them change.

Nora,for instance ,would have more to do if her daughter Rachel were around.Viki,the same if Kevin and Joey were there.

Rather than Jack Abbott constantly going head to head with Victor,his son Keemo could enter the mix and add a new dimension to the story.

Another candidate for a bus out of town.

Katie ATWT-after 5 marriages in 10 years,her credibility is a little off.

• Members

Agreed on Nora. I appreciate Ron's attempt to make her the Buchanan "matriarch" (for lack of a better word) by giving her the mansion and playing her as the mama lion to everyone there. I felt like that was a decent attempt at moving the character of Nora into a different position on the canvas. I adore Renee, but with Asa gone, she doesn't have nearly the same chemistry with the rest of the Buchs that Hilary has. But if this doesn't pan out, I do think OLTL can easily survive without the character of Nora.

Don't even get me started on the Vega boys... Kamar should be thanking his lucky stars Talia ended up being as charismatic as she is.

And co-sign on Alan Spaulding. I'd add Beth to that list as well. Neither character has been who they truly should be in over a decade.

• Members

:wub: I'll just settle for just Marlena leaving. She's been on the longest except for Maggie, Alice, Doug, and Julie, and those four are hardly on. The character has changed too much from the Marlena of the late 70's and early 80's...the one I loved.

• Members

Actually, I disagree with this. I love her turn on Days much more now than when she left after her little one-night stand with Roman. Her character is allowed more nuances, and I feel Ari is bringing these across admirably.

• Members

I think that it's long past time to write Todd out. The character's been twisted and morphed in so many directions that he's beyond a cartoon. Every writer has put his or her spin on Todd and now he's just a cipher. No heart, no soul, no meaning, no depth. I'm referring specifically to the writing not the portrayal. I adore TSJ and I loved RH before him. But enough with the coming back from the dead and getting women pregnant. And ENOUGH with the rape. I'm tired of hearing about it.

Archived