July 21-25, 2008

Toups

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But dmarex was RIGHT (and I was wrong), at least for Friday. Y&R got a promo boost...which has totally kicked my theory in the pant (not really my theory I guess...more a version of the Jack Peyton axiom, which asserts that viewers DO NOT come back).

• Members

Actually, i honestly do think they will come back - however not all of them. say you have 25 friends. then you start actling like a shitt friends and 8 leave. Once you improve and show that of that 8 some will come back, but not all. and over time if you keep slipping and making mistakes and pissing friends off then you will end up with less and less until you are all alone.

odd comparison, i know. but.. whatever.

also, i do think if you promo something right and it looks good people will tune in. doesnt mean they will stay.

i also dont think whos one what day and what storyline is a direct affect of the ratings for that day, but more of the day before. i.e. if people happen to tune in on tuesday and they like it they will turn in on wed - but if wed sucks they will turn out on thurs and check back in a few days later.

also you ahve to factor in the cbs.com/youtube/itunes/etc and recaps and people having other options and besing busy into this. i dont understand how some people can say that ratings gains/loses day by day are almost only due to who was on and what storyline was on.

• Members

Well, I came back. After several years, I saw a story that caught my eye and stayed with the show. The numbers show me that fans WANT to come back to the show. They're just looking for something engaging enough to make them interested enough to consider staying.

• Members

The fact that all of the CBS soaps gained in viewers this week is something that makes me really happy. Their entire lineup has been on fire lately and obviously people are choosing to keep their sets tuned to CBS for their soap fix as a result of that.

• Members

Here's my honest opinion right now, and it's shocker, but I don't find AMC all that bad right now. The only story that really getting on my nerves these days are the Fusion gang and B&E's attempt to make Annie a Annie Dutton 3.0 (Livvie Locke on PC being 2.0). Other than that, I'm liking the drama around the Hubbard family, with Cassandra, Frankie, etc. Funny thing is it took me a long time to get into them, but I'm finally am. The teens trying to cover up their hit and run isn't that bad of a story. I'm liking Sammuel/Erica/Jackson with some Carmen thrown in. Are the same old problems still there such as Krystal, Babe, and the propping of the Fuision gang? Yeah it is, but the presence of some other much needed stories as the ones I mentioned above seems to balance it out a little, just a little bit. Also, while I can't really get behind the absurdity of Annie losing her marbles and trying keep Ryan all to herself, it's slightly entertaining.

GL and Y&R are some other soaps I, surprisingly, find myself being entertained by.

• Members

I notice more and more people saying they watched online and would love to see numbers on how often shows are viewed that way no.

I also agree it's wrong to say the daily fluctuations are only due to who is on and what story, but it's equally wrong to say that doesn't matter at all. Whether we like it or not, there are a lot of viewers now who only watch for certain characters and will not watch when they aren't on. Or they won't watch stories or characters they can't stand. Some people also simply don't have the time to watch everyday and so they pick the days they watch based on who is on.

• Members

The shares tell the most interesting story lately. They've only budged in a few places.

In households, all shows had the same share of the available audience they did last week.

In women 18-49, Y&R increased from a 10 to a 12% share, B&B went up from a 6 to an 8% share, AMC up from 7 to 8%, and both ATWT and DAYS were up from 6 to 7%. All other shows stayed the same.

In women 18-34, Y&R increased from 6 to 7%, DAYS from 4 to 5%, ATWT from 3 to 4%....and GH dropped from 7 to 6%. All other shows retained their same shares from last week.

• Members

I kind of agree. The numbers show me that a 4.0 HH daily _is_ still possible for this show.

A big big big structural problem for the show remains Neil/Devon/Lily's story. CKLily, of course, continues to alienate some fans...but part of the problem is that the writing for her remains awful. (Here's hoping Chloe can help her ramp up her ferocity). Devon has no meaningful story, and he should. And Neil is now trapped in lackluster chemistry with TWO women. Neither Tyra nor Karen do it.

The thing is that Kristoff St. John is very very very good at what he plays: which is a stern, principled paterfamilias. So he needs a wild thing to season him, and make him interesting.

It is said that part of the viewer attrition is in fans of color. THEY MUST be given something they can find interesting. Of course, generally speaking, what one group finds to be interesting ALL GROUPS will find as interesting. Good writing is color blind.

Here is hoping we see this fixed soon.

Archived