July 21-25, 2008

Toups

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Y&R

Friday: 4.0/5,626,000

Way to go Y&R! The huge promotion worked out for Friday. I hope they can keep up these numbers for the week July 28-August 1 (hopefully the LA earthquake didn't hurt Y&R on Tuesday).

I also noticed that OLTL is been #1 in Girls 12-17 demos for 5 straight weeks now. I don't remember the last time OLTL's dominated those demos. And OLTL is just 75,000 viewers away from GH. Come on, please beat GH!!!

• Members

I agree with you that quality has helped Y&R, but IMO, time slot is the main reason that Y&R has remained no. 1. As more and more women go into the workplace being able to watch a soap during the lunchtime is a major advantage over the the other soaps. Even when at work, Y&R can be watched during lunch so these women stay engaged with the soap. Yet we now see that even Y&R cannot sustain its audience for an extended length of time any more.

• Members

Because, strangely, lineups go together. So, if they get people in for TPIR, all of CBS goes up. If they get people in for Y&R, all of CBS goes up. Now, HERE IS WHERE I AM WRONG AND STAND CORRECTED!!!

Ann, as you know, I always say this.

But this week I was WRONG.

Y&R got a 4.0 during Sudden Impact.

All that promotion worked.

How long has it been since that was true? (Did Genie Francis' last GH return even affect the ratings??).

I am SHOCKED that that promotion bumped the ratings up to 4.0. Mouth-open shocked. That NEVER happens.

Now, to return to the random argument :). Let's see if it lasted for more than a single episode.

A lot of people left Friday saying "ho-hum" or "meh" or some such thing. "Too much hype". That COULD cause a rebound for Monday's episode that follows.

But, I am SHOCKED that promotion worked. Compare this to "Out of the Ashes", where ratings actually went DOWN.

Fascinating counter-example....

• Members

I totally agree...but the "promotion" effect for Friday's Sudden Impact shocks me.

That hasn't happened for a very long time.

I think, if they kept up the promotion, writing quality and CONSISTENCY, Y&R could decline at a slower rate (hold on to it's numbers). Unfortunately, I doubt there will be sustained promotion (in primetime, magazines, etc.). and I doubt the show will be consistent. But if it COULD be, it might somewhat buck the trend for a while.

But, as Ann reminds us, the whole genre IS circling the drain :).

• Members

I just saw that. Nice to see a 4.0. I almost forgot what it looked like. :lol: I forgot about the earthquake. I dont remember there being any pre-emptions here on Tuesday.

When is a show going to surpass GH?...grrrrrrr.....lol

AMC with a 2.2 for Monday? Why so high? I dont recall what happened.

• Members

I don't believe the fluctuations are totally random either. I think that the disjointed storytelling on ATWT makes it harder to maintain the day to day momentum. But when there's a cliffhanger (ex. Margo pulling out a gun on Em at the end of one eppy) the audience will tune tomorrow.

• Members

Following up on Errol's post...I'm dead serious here...I'd love to know if any of this can be a "SON effect".

To test this, SON should collaborate on a few more big promotions (only for events that deserve them).

If it can be shown that SON has a consistent and measureable effect on viewership (independent of other promotion venues), that is POWER (and that is revenue for the site).

In this case, it is hard to know, because the promotions were EVERYWHERE. But, since SON was the specifically credited promo source on Youtube, and since I think that was a big part of where the eyeballs learned about this, I'd love to know how many unique hits the promos got!

I'll bet SON had a MUCH bigger effect than E!

This is important, because it speaks, in part, to Goutman's dismissal of internet fans as a 'very very small' segment of the audience, or whatever the heck nonsense he spouted.

It would be VERY easy to do a study on this. VERY easy.

Just negotiate for EXCLUSIVE promotion rights (beyond on-network ads during the daypart) for some event.

FOR EXAMPLE: Luke and Noah finally make love.

Offer to promote the SH*T out of it for CBS, with the guarantee of exclusivity. (That may be a bad example, since P&G/CBS is apparently publicity shy about that story...but you get my point). Ask SON community members to make it viral.

And let's SEE.

Such an experiment would be TOTALLY up my alley :-)

Archived