Unpopular Opinions

• Members

Passions

People can bash Passions all they want, but they can't deny that even on Passions worst day, its more entertaining and enjoyable than any other soap on air.

Passions doesn't get the credit they deserves, this is the only soap to be actually talked about outside of Daytime (The Soup, Best Week Ever, The View) without even asking for it.

Lindsey Hartley should sue The Daytime Emmy's for never giving this woman a nomination. She carried this show from the start and still is, she is vastly underrated.

JER may get it wrong half the time, but he knows how to make "Must See TV". Passions is a guilty pleasure

ATWT

Dylan Bruce is so hott, that I dont mind watching him and his bad acting.

I think more poeple would of enjoyed and accepted the Nuke storyline if it was played by two hott guys.

Luke needs to be recasted, Van Hansis...just creeps me out and always makes his kissing scenes look like he is trying to rape Noah.

Althoguh Nuke's story is so horribly written, CBS and ATWT should be applauded for going there and trying, but also reprimanded for bitching out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I guess my unpopular opinions are that:

-I could watch Jeanne Cooper read the phone book, even with her slight slur. :lol:

-And I like Brooke on B&B.

-I also like Taylor.

-And even though I hate Ridge and Ronn Moss's unique acting technique, I don't think I would want him to leave B&B (just yet). As long as he's not on every week, I can deal with hating him from afar, knowing everybody else does, too.

-John McCook on the other hand... Eric is such a gasbag who obviously adores the sound of his own voice.

-Kyle Lowder is the best Rick yet. OK, he looks a bit like a gorilla, but he is a far superior Rick to Jacob Young's preening version and Justin Torkildsen's pipsqueak.

-And even though Jason and his "lifestyle" are horribly pimped on GH, I cannot bring myself to hate Steve Burton.

-I like Sam. *hides*

• Members

Ron C. is incredibly overrated and unoriginal

OLTL is boring

Dena Higley was not all that bad her first couple of years on OLTL and awful the last

I liked Todd's execution

I loved Jess/Tess and Nash and OLTL screwed up rather than writing for them

Tess, prior to Ron C's poor writing of the character, was more interesting than Nikki.

Michael Malone second term was actually pretty good his first year or so and awful the last

Michael Easton is a fine actor who has not been written well. John was most interesting his first months on the show when he was a loner, a friend of Bo's.

Todd and Blair have become tiring

Jessie and Angie are the best thing AMC has done in years

AMC screwed up killing off Dixie

OLTL screwed up killing off Nash

I like DOOL better now than through much of HS's tenure

I adore the NuJohn and believe Marlena could loosen up some too

Steve and Kayla are underutilized and have become boring boring boring

I think Ava is great and hope the actress returns to DOOL and the part

I like Sharon and Nick on Y&R

Genie Frances should return to GH fulltime and she is a very good addition to the show

Tony Geary should be given a real story

Maurice Bernard and Steve Burton are phoning it in.

Laura Wright is a fine actress but Carly is annoying

• Members

Depends on which EP he was paired with LG? Liked. FV? Not.

I just thought the point of the thread was to post the things we think that we KNOW we're in the minority. Saying "I don't like GH since it became all about the mafia" isn't exactly a minority opinion. :) Although I do give the person who said "I don't think Jeanne Cooper can act" a HUGE thumbs up just for having the b@lls to say it. Seriously.

But okay. I'll throw a few of mine out there:

1) Sheri Anderson's DAYS wasn't NEARLY as good as many people remember it being, or have decided it is.

2) It's time B&B took appropriate measures to start phasing the Forresters into the background. I think they're played out.

3) I find Robin Strasser to be very one-note most of the time, at least in the last ten years or so.

4) I don't think Liz Hubbard or Eileen Fulton are very good. I find them both to be stuttering messes most of the time, and have pretty much since I started watching soaps.

5) I don't like Spinelli on GH. At ALL. In fact, I find him not amusing or entertaining, but grating, played by a terrible actor, and completely worthless to Port Charles history.

6) The best story of November Sweeps won't be from much-hyped Y&R, much-hyped OLTL, or much-hyped ATWT. I think The Premature Carlivatizing and Subsequent Higlifying of Chuck Pratt is going to be the most entertaining "story" of November Sweeps.

• Members

DAYS:

• I hated all the Belle Blacks and thought Martha Madison was just as bad as Kirsten Storms
  • Nicole Walker may be the only entertaining character currently on the show
  • Stephanie Cameron's Jen was preferable to Melissa Reeves harpy schrew Jen
  • Chelsea is better evil
  • I like it when Lexie cheats on Abe
  • Dena Higley will do less damage to the show than Hogan did from a storywise perspective, however everyone will have fallen asleep and tuned out before she is replaced.
Y&R

• I liked Rachel Kimsey best as Mac - i thought she was a really good actress
  • I root for Sharon over Phyllis and Victoria etc.
  • If she was a less self-righteous character, i'd want Gloria to win and get off scott-free
  • I hate Neil without Dru
  • I liked Jack Smith and I liked his s/l with sheila and scott in 2006/7
B&B

• I hate Brooke and Taylor
  • I wish Macy and Darla were alive and would kick Brooke and Taylor's their a**es
  • I wish Jackie would beat up Stephanie and get away with it
  • I wish Forrester went bankrupt

• Members

I forgot to mention that I don't think Martha Madison is the great actress everyone praises her to be. Is she decent? Yes. Is she amazing? Not really. People talk about how she's been robbed in the Emmy process. That's not true. Martha only does well in emotional, crying scenes. That's where she excells when Belle cried. She knocked it out of the park. However, in any normal scene, I saw nothing great about her performance. Nothing special. She's just a good crier. That's it.

• Members

Have I ever written a miles-long post about anything? :lol:

(Okay, maybe once or twice)

I love Malone as a novelist. I think he's a great writer (in terms of the written word). I think he's had some stellar stories (and many that lots of fans will put in their top ten favorite daytime stories of all time), although I do agree with a few on here that his first tenure was DANGEROUSLY close to being preachy, but I think Gottlieb saved him before he got that far. I think the travesty that happened the second time was MOSTLY his and JG's fault, but to be fair, I do think they were adapting to the Frons-ization of ABC, as opposed to what ABCD was the first time he wrote... and it just wasn't their thing.

• Members

Guiding Light

If anything that's happened to this date has been a nail in GL's coffin, it was the loss of Jerry VerDorn and Ross Marler. Not the new format, bad lighting, or no sets. JVD brought an essential dignity to the role and to the show itself that has not been replaced and probably never will be. For all the show's weaknesses and all that the show has lost, that basic sense of dignity that VerDorn, and Charita Bauer before him, brought, has been the biggest loss of all.

While the way in which GL lost Ehlers and Goldin was humiliating, onscreen, the show is far better off without the characters that Gus & Harley had become. They were both overexposed, overwrought, and dramatically exhausted. The show is already less monotonous and annoying with them gone.

Ron Raines is a terrible Alan Spaulding. Every note he hits in his performances is wrong for the character. When the writing was better and Raines shared more scenes with other vets, the problem wasn't so obvious. But I guess it was the beginning of Conboy/Weston and the drugged tea stuff when I started to notice that, absent good writing, Raines' performances were rudderless. He seems clueless as to the actual foundation of the character and seems to play every scene, as written, to the hilt. If Alan is supposed to be doing something dastardly, he's Lex Luthor. If he's supposed to be acting a little nuts, he's Nicholson from Cuckoo's Nest. If he's supposed to be reformed, he comes off like an overgrown hippy who paid way too much attention in Philosophy 101. Alan Spaulding has become a pitiful joke of a character and Raines performances have added to that perception not mitigated it.

Nicole Forrester is far less annoying than Laura Wright. I still hate the character of Cassie but NF is a better actress who is actually capable of subtlety and she doesn't go insanely over-the-top in the simplest of scenes by gnashing her teeth, jutting her jaw, and screaming at the top of her lungs.

Tom Pelphrey, Jonathan Randall, and "Jammy" were all ridiculously overrated and the show is better without them.

Jeffrey and Reva are hideous. This "relationship" has demeaned, debased, and dumbed-down the character of Reva more than anything else ever has. More than AmishReva. More than CloneReva. More than QueenRevita. More than PsychicReva. More than "You're not enough for me" MenopauseReva. Even more than "I'm such a martyr dying of cancer all on my own because I'm too proud and vain to share my pain with my own husband" Reva. He's a vile, unrepentent serial rapist who should've been in prison years ago and off my screen not sucking up airtime in a frontburner pairing. I know alot of KZ's fans go on and on about how popular this pairing is now, but seriously, the show's HH is in the mid 1's, how popular could anything going on right now possibly be?

General Hospital

Luke & Laura were not only overrated and offensive, they were the beginning of the end of soaps. With the success of this couple, the rape=seduction or foreplay concept started burrowing into soap writers heads as a viable story angle and so did many other previous verboten misogynistic acts and behaviors, most of which have been portrayed on GH first but eventually spread elsewhere. Portraying women as becoming romantically entangled with their own rapists was sickening and insulting in 1980 and it's even worse now. Watch ten minutes of GH today and you'll probably hear at least two women called "bitch", "whore", or "slut". After L&L, the entire genre also shifted away from family and community to supercoupledom. Twenty and thirty-something supercouples were all that mattered and characters who weren't in someway attached to them were jettisoned or ignored. Even core families were gutted if they didn't have a member in a supercouple.

• Members

I have more....

- Rachel Kimsey did the most she could with the character of Mac. I mean let's face it...the character was just plain dull and uninteresting ESPECIALLY when played by Ashley Bashioum, who clearly knows nothing about showing emotions.

- Watching old soap episodes from the 80's and 90's on youtube is a better time investment than watching the current lineup of crap presently polluting the daytime airwaves.

- The character of Sheila MADE B&B in the 1990's. Since then the character is just not salvageable in any way!

- Brad serves no purpose on Y&R at this point.

- The last good year for soaps as a whole, quality-wise, was 1993.

Archived