EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Exactly. I never remember Shirley being loving and polite to her. I always remember her calling her every bad name in the book. 

I thought her reaching out to Ben in the end was so disingenuous and I was pissed that Kathy didn't bop this bitch over the head at one point in the episode. I don't care for Ben, but Shirley has no moral ground to scold him. That's one thing I love Sharon for because she will dog-walk Shirley when she tries getting high and mighty.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think with a good director Harry Reid could do great work, but this show doesn't seem to have those anymore if this episode is any indication. Horrible acting all across the board. One of those, I hope no one catches me watching this embarrassing drivel, episodes. At least incoming producer Sean O'Connor, more than Kate Oates (though I've loved a lot of her work) and especially Iain McLeod, has me excited for the future. Let's just hope DTC doesn't completely circle the drain before he's finally through.

Kathy being a complete wet rag enrages me more than all the consistent hatred I have for Shirley, Phil, Mick, and whoever else. This hapless rut she's in needs to end, immediately. I also hate that everyone is just happy to let Ben live a lie with Abby. People should be at wits end with his constant denial. Someone should be so angry about it that they tell Ben it's his fault that Abby miscarried because he's been stringing her along this whole time. Someone should try and get Abby to realize she's depressed and deluded. This story is just too offensive and ridiculous. It all makes me want to punch a wall.

• Members

I think the reason I can't get more excited is because, as Y&RWorldTurner has mentioned before, the poor leadership from higher-ups at the BBC in recent years. There's a lot of stuff in recent years that has really hurt Eastenders and would not have been allowed in its first 15-20 years. For instance, Ronnie causing Fatboy's death, and even worse, being put into light romantic comedy afterward. 

I do have some hope for the new producer, but I wonder sometimes if the worst aspects of EE can't be fixed. Above all else I just hope that they stop the shock value and pointless "twists" that are such pointless masturbation. The Gavin story is the biggest wankfest imaginable, and I'll never get over that embarrassing divorce papers "homage."

I'm mostly looking to Macleod mostly because I've found Kate Oates' Emmerdale all but unwatchable for months now (with terribly done story beats, poor aftermath, and aside from a few oases like the Pollards, character interactions at an all time low - and the handling of sexual abuse unforgiveable). Oates will probably improve Corrie some, but that her first work is finding a new male piece of ass, when the show has huge huge problems (and the female slate is far more in need of work than the male slate) makes me wary.

• Members

Joivan Wade and Diane Parish are being wasted in this story. Why bring JJ's mother back from the 'dead?' I thought it was more compelling when Jordan thought she was dead. I feel like all the potential that could've occurred with Jordan was squandered for a story that didn't even go anywhere. 

Everything else on tonight's episode was boring. However, I do hope that Nancy takes that money and leave but not telling Mick to f-ck himself and snitching to Linda that he technically paid her off to leave. 

• Members

This episode reminded me why I just can't connect to Mick and Linda in spite of the many, many attempts to have us do so. With Mick in particular, when I see him in what are supposed to be tense dramatic moments (like Mick at the hospital tonight), I "see" Danny Dyer trying to act. I don't see a character. I go on and on about Phil, but I never "see" an actor when he's onscreen. 

Speaking of acting issues, I'm sorry, if not overly surprised, at how poor Jovian Wade is as Jordan. He was a lot better on Doctor Who. Admittedly they have more of an opportunity at better quality performances compared to to workhorse nature of a soap, but I still find his work to be distractingly bad. As I do Kim's Blanche Deveraux wardrobe..

I still wonder if someone from on high called for a wholesale clearing up of what could have been a much longer story (Abi's "pregnancy," Ben's anger and rage at Phil). If I just watched today's episode, I would assume that Ben or Louise had horribly injured Phil, not the other way around. We are back in no time to a wide variety of mugs needing to prove to Phil how special and precious he is in their eyes. On paper I understand the idea of Ben and Louise vying over Phil, but I'm already tired of it after about one episode. Louise gets on my last nerve. 

I can't stand Tina, but by Tina standards I thought she was relatively sedate at Bex's concert. You'd think she flashed the crowd (which she probably would have with a few more beers) by some of the reactions.

I had to laugh during Sharon and Phil's scene, because you could tell they likely had, "Sharon makes melodramatic pronouncement" in the script. Sharon had a melodramatic life and wore dramatic hair and clothes (sometimes), but she herself did not swim around in these uber-arch lines until recently. I could do without it. Speaking of bad lines, I laughed when Kathy talked with Buster about her "third husband." Would anyone talk like that in real life? Wouldn't she just say, "my last husband" or "Gavin"? 

Shirley was just blatantly flirting with Phil like old times. I can't say I'm surprised. I wouldn't mind Kathy and Buster, but we're already basically being told that she's hung up on Phil, so it looks like it will be yet another story that is about Phil and the many women who can't quit him. What a joy.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I found Louise and Ben trying to vie for Phil's affection at this time to be odd. Most people would've cut him off and allowed him to die in the street. Especially, after his recent episode of nearly killing Louise. I think it would've been more compelling if DTC has the two siblings drop their daggers and bond over the grief their father has recently caused them. Louise bothers me too but I don't expect much more. It's DTC. Every character underneath him is annoying as f-ck. I'm surprised he even brought Louise on seeing as he cleared house of all her peers (Liam, Cindy, TJ). 

• Members

Louise is gross. Why couldn't they have an earnest alcoholism story (even though it is already absurd), and not have it be about Louise using Phil's ailment to suck his bank account dry? 

Denise's scene with Jamie (or JJ up until now) was the highlight of this episode. Diane Parish put in work and fought back tears watching her selfishly give up Jamie. I enjoyed Carmel being her support system. Carmel is enjoyable when she isn't with her own damn child and trying to drive home that she's Arthur's 'nanny.' 

I can see Buster and Kathy being something good. Kathy made him likable for once. My only gripe is that Kathy will be latched onto the bottom feeders known as the Carters if this was to become something more. 

• Members

I can't get past the absurdity of 25-30 year old-looking Louise constantly being called 14 and a kid and so on. The wooden duff-duff where Abi, who looks a fair bit YOUNGER than Louise, called her "little girl" actually made me LOL. Ronnie's new Danielle replacement Hannah looks closer to 14 and she can sort of act - why was she not cast in this role?