EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I said this on Walford Web, but at this point some part of me wishes they'd have a Jack/Ben pairing. It would be all sorts of weird, but it fits Ben's daddy issues, and I've always wondered a little about Jack. 

I do love the idea of Jamie Borthwick becoming a name in the US, but it's a shame if he does leave because he really seems to want to be a part of the show. I think if they write him out it will be their choice. I just wish they saw his potential, but DTC obviously has a lot of contempt for the younger cast, especially non-Carters. 

Speaking of Walford Web, they're having their top 50 character poll results. It's a good reminder of what a bubble we're in, I suppose, although with EE most of the older material is unavailable (blocked on Youtube), so it makes sense.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Jamie Borthwick is too scrawny to make it in the US, especially while he still has such a baby face. Jacqeline Jossa has the full package to make it in the US if the stars align correctly, but she doesn't seem to have the drive. I would guess after seeing Lacey Turner, who couldn't get more praise, return to the show after such a short amount of time away doesn't help them believe otherwise.

DRW50, I participated in the top 50 poll, too. Some of the choices for both the EE and Emmerdale poll are mind boggling, but with things like this you have no choice but to take the bad with good. What was your list for EastEnders, if you don't mind me asking? I've already, unfortunately, deleted my list from my inbox on that site, but could try to muster it up from memory, just not in order.

• Members

Ben/Jack could be hot but with Ben being a Mitchell, that'd still keep Jack in whiny Ronnie's orbit. Scott Maslen should've just stayed off the show and pleaded with the producers of The Royals to make his character a regular.  

I agree that Jamie may only make the leap when they push him off the show and I wouldn't be surprised if it is within the next year. 

I hope with the poll on Walford Web, the top 50 characters aren't from the past 3-4 years. 

• Members

1. Sue Osman
2. Pat Butcher
3. Colin Russell 
4. Mary Smith
5. Angie Watts
6. Carol Jackson
7. Mark Fowler 
8. Dot Cotton
9. Michelle Fowler
10. Lou Beale
11. Carmel Jackson
12. Pauline Fowler
13. Kathy Beale
14. Donna Ludlow
15. Den Watts
16. Tiffany Raymond
17. Frank Butcher
18. Janine Butcher
19. Sharon Watts
20. Ian Beale
21. Kat Slater
22. Bianca Jackson
23. Simon Raymond
24. Nigel Bates
25. Jay Brown 

Least favorite:

Mary Flaherty

Dennis Rickman was #26 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I have retrieved my list! However, other than the top two, the rankings were literally as they came into my head. If I would have properly shuffled them around, Carol would probably have been number 3, amidst other changes I was too lazy at the time to think about.

1. David Wicks
2. Janine Butcher
3. Pat Butcher
4. Pauline Fowler
5. Den Watts
6. Angie Watts
7. Sharon Watts
8. Michelle Fowler
9. Ethel Skinner
10. Simon Wicks
11. Carol Jackson
12. Sue Osman
13. Frank Butcher
14. Denise Fox
15. Donna Ludlow
16. Kathy Beale
17. Colin Russell
18. Mark Fowler
19. Arthur Fowler
20. Mandy Salter
21. Cindy Beale
22. Chrissie Watts
23. Lofty Holloway
24. Bianca Jackson
25. Robbie Jackson

Least Favourite - Shirley Carter

• Members

Daniella and Kim might as well have been playing two separate characters as Sam never felt like the same character when you compare the actresses in the role. I do think Kim is the better actress, but obviously Daniella is the original and probably has the closer off-screen relationship with Barbara Windsor. In general though, Sam has never really felt like a fleshed out character to me. 

However, Sam's definitive storyline (Den's murder) was played by Kim, and during that storyline Kim did amass more episodes than Daniella. 

Edited by BetterForgotten