EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Why in the hell was a highly dramatic scene literally pushed into the background so that we could see Linda shrieking "JOHNNY!" Why was Johnny sporting a plastic grin as if he was from another planet, completely oblivious to a man berating and verbally abusing a woman over her vicious lies, and the entire crowd being stunned? Not to mention that the man in question was Ben, someone he'd been worried about before he left Walford. 

I'm not trying to take away from the other criticisms of this scene - the lack of reaction in defending Abi (although I tend to assume most people were just stunned), the ugliness of it all - but I actually thought the scene itself was one of the most searing of this type they've done in ages. It felt disgusting and real, rather than campy and "soapy." Lorna and Harry got it right, the actors watching it unfold got it right (even Scott Maslen, someone I'm iffy on, got it right in that moment), the direction was crisp and atmospheric...

How in the HELL was this completely and totally upstaged because it's time to pull our collective puds over DTC's avatar returning home? 

If there was ever one scene that epitomized why he had to go, this was it.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I fall in tandem with you two as that ending scene was horrible and campy. I didn't know whether to laugh at Linda's reaction or pity the so called build up to Abi's reveal. Just shows how even DTC probably felt this story was a joke by having it end this way. 

Honestly, I thought the whole episode was garbage. Why have Ben find out the truth ten minutes of the episode but have him blow up in the end? Just all out of sequence. 

Yeah. It is totally his time to go. I'm fearful now how he'll handle Peggy's death. Will Peggy be on her death bed and we're in the middle of an emotional scene when someone else pops up and gleefully declares they are back? I just don't trust DTC or this group of storyliners with any material on this show anymore. 

• Members

I also can't help wondering if the toilet scene (a bad ripoff of Phil/Ian scenes I never liked the first time around, complete with Harry Reid apparently trying out for Steve McFadden Impression School) is another reason why they cast an actress who looks 25 to play Louise. If a girl who actually looked 14 or even a bit older than 14 had been put in that situation, OFCOM would have have their lines blown up. As it was, the most you could say is if briefly wiped off one of her two facial expressions ("corrupted robot" - the other one is "robot out of batteries").

• Members

I think they felt like it was a contrast between tears and laughter, or whatever. I think they were also so giddy about having their precious Johnny back that they assumed everyone else would be too.

I think DTC will do right by Peggy and Barbara Windsor, as he's very invested in her, but we'll see.

• Members

For me Peggy's exit really can't be that good, as she's become Barbara Windsor over the years, and the Mitchells are desolate (and only one or two people in the family can really even act at this point). But I thought the episode where she told Phil she was dying was very good, so I think it may work out.

• Members

I just think that instead of the arc being about Peggy, it'll be about Phil's alcoholism, Grant returning, Ben's woes, or Louise trying to scam someone. I feel like Peggy is gonna be used as a plot to get sympathy for Phil in future months ahead. We won't get the after affects of Peggy's death like we should. I just don't trust DTC with something like this.

• Members

I can see why. I have a feeling Barbara will have a lot of input, so it may work out. No way of knowing. At least we can be fairly sure her death episode won't end up being about the hilarity of Aunt Babe shaking her ass while Mick wears comedy glasses and Linda cowers.

• Members

Just when I thought that yesterday's episode was bad, this episode was no better. 

I've always known that DTC would've tried to have Louise come for Jay and tonight's episode solidified my suspicions. I am glad that they had Jay use his better judgment and immediately shut her down. I found it gross that she tried to plant a kiss on Jay when he's her surrogate brother. This is why DTC should've never scurried characters like Cindy Jr., Liam, and TJ off the Square. All of them could've been Louise's peers. At least, it'd give her characters to play off of instead of having her act skeevy and lust for Jay, which I am sure won't be the end of it. 

Once again, Linda got to play the victim card, which is so old. I've grown tired of this character slinging boogers every five seconds. It's old. Much like that eternal scowl that Mick keeps on his face. Plus, I found it gross that Linda refers to Johnny, a grown ass man, as 'sausage.'

WTF kind of pet name is that? 

I also find it insulting that the gay son must be treated with delicate gloves like he can't handle what has happened to Linda or Oliver. :rolleyes: I think that Johnny's entrance would've been more powerful if he came there to defend Nancy's honor and scold Mick for practically isolating her. Seeing as Johnny is the 'golden child,' it would've been more nice to see him call Mick out on his behavior and threaten to cut him out if he doesn't forgive Nancy. Not this whole rape mess, which they could've told him offscreen (when they visited him during their honeymoon) before his return. 

Jay was the MVP of the night as I am glad that he finally told Ben to accept his sexuality. Honestly, I grasp how Ben can be so distraught over losing Abi. If anything, he should be doing cartwheels as he can now move on from her and be with Paul. 

And Carmel....<_< Why am I not surprised that she's become the latest apologist for Stacey f-cking Slater. I hate how Masood, who has lost a daughter and granddaughter over this affair, is scolded and made to feel bad b/c he doesn't wanna forgive Saint Stacey yet. This is why I've never given two f-cks about the character. She never feels the wrath of her actions and never really learns anything. Instead, she's coddled and patted on the head while her victims are simply told to 'get over it.' Such utter bullsh--t.