EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Enders denies Bradley suicide plot

EastEnders bosses this morning refuted rumours that one of the show's much-loved characters is to commit suicide during the soap's live 25th anniversary episode.

A tabloid newspaper today claimed that Bradley Branning - played by 22-year-old Charlie Clements - will stun the residents of Walford by leaping off a building and plummeting to his death in "one of the most heart-breaking soap goodbyes ever".

However, a spokesperson for the soap this morning told DS: "We will not comment on Bradley's exit storyline other than to say he does not commit suicide."

Back in November, Clements announced his decision to quit EastEnders after nearly four years in the role of Bradley.

At the time, executive producer Diederick Santer said: "I can promise a big exit for the character."

The BBC soap's live 25th anniversary episode will air on Friday, February 19 and features the 'Who Killed Archie?' reveal.

• Members

I don't think this would be a big loss. Steve is a good actor, but there isn't a lot left for Phil. They have to resort to comedy alcoholism. Most of the Mitchells are played out. I would keep Ronnie, Glenda, and if they can figure out what to do with Billy, keep him, and write out the rest.

• Members

Are they finally going to write Janine like a person again, instead of a camp villain? I hope so. The stuff with Ricky and Bianca was very good.

Bianca's children are so annoying -- they are either constantly lifeless/depressed (Whitney, Liam, Morgan) or acting like they are on a perpetual audition for Annie (Tiffany). At least Max got something different to do.

I wish they would have less of ROXY SHOUTING. And if they want to do a story about her being young and hip, avoid closeups.

Masood and Christian have good chemistry. I wish that had been the forbidden love story.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I love how they almost make it sound like Sonia was a lesbian when Martin got involved with her. :lol:

I'm glad Charlie Brooks isn't being harassed by fans anymore but I can't say she is a standout to the show these days. Janine is bad camp and I feel like the show is often laughing at her and uses her only to get the plot rolling along. Supposedly the actress who played Suzy Branning got into major conflicts with other cast members and had to be abruptly written out. Janine then inherited some of her stories, like running over Danielle.

I can't say there's a lot of wit in today's Walford (unless you count Phil as the comic drunk or two years of fat jokes and ugly jokes for Heather), or gritty realism either. The show if anything has become too aware of its own universe. The "duff duff" overly staged cliffhangers, the pointless returns, the fancy music montages. I think there are some very solid points about Eastenders these days -- strong acting, interesting characters, standout solo episodes -- but I can't say wit or realism are among them. Or strong women at the moment.

The men are weak in Walford these days but I'm not sure if that's about strong women or just casting which seems to always cast men with stringy hair, no personalities, big sad eyes, and gaunt physiques.

Many of the women tend to be baby-obsessed, or obsessed with men who aren't worth the effort. Some of them are very loud and like to yell, but that's not strength.