Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I do like most of your ideas, though there's something you'd have to change and that's Sally's father as he died in 1989 and even if he was alive he was also a wife beater (and Rita knowing the family history would never go for that). It's an easy problem to fix though, just have Sally find an old unsent letter stuffed away in her mother's possesions which details an affair she had leading to Sally's conception...Sally tracks him down and the rest plays out how you describe...

My favourite is the Rosie idea...I'd actually go even further and have Rosie undergo a hymenorrhaphy but I think that subject's a bit too post-watershed for corrie!

I do think however that the suggestion for Emily doesn't really fit the character. Emily's always been the rational type of Christian who never gets carried away with her religion. If she started hearing voices, she'd more than likely dismiss them as her imagination rather than the voice of God. I think the story idea would have been perfect for Ivy Tilsley though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's part of the reasons I picked Emily - it's not something she would ever do, so it would confuse her, and also make the people in her life wonder what has happened.

Or you could give the story to Sophie...

I know very little about Sally's past, other than she has a sister and she had a bad background, so thanks for telling me that. It's a shame so much of that is unknown by the show.

I miss Ivy.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Those stories would breathe so much life into the show.

I've never had a huge problem with the Sutherlands, but I wouldn't particularly miss them if they went because I think it's time for their era to come to a close. Carla and Leanne can stay, but Michelle, Maria, and Kirk can hit the bricks along with any substantial memory of the Connor bunch.

Anna/Peter could be interesting and fun. For a second, I almost thought that Anna would be too old for him (old enough for people to comment on it, at least), but not really. I'd love it if Anna and Gary had strong ties to the Barlows, that would really cement them into the fabric of the show. I think Eddie can be hilarious, but Anna and Gary have always been my favorite parts of the Windass family. I wish Janice could stick around so that she and Anna could make fitness DVDs together!

You know I'm all for shipping Fiz, Ches, and John away. I don't particularly mind Ches or John (except for the way he says "Fishwick," which bugs the crap out of me for some reason :lol:), but yeah...they can go. Maybe Ches could stay to be part of the younger crowd because the actor's pretty good, but I don't think I'd shed a tear if he left.

I'd ship Lloyd off with Chhhheryl, too. I still can't forgive him (or the writers) for the crappy way he dumped Teresa.

The Armstrongs seem so boring. Izzy could have just stood on her own (........) without the family, and she would have been just fine. If Ches were to leave with Fiz, then little sister would really have no point or purpose.

Rosie is SO perfect for the "de la" treatment. That would be too funny! Rosie is the type of character I love (one of those archetypes that need to be mentioned on DTS), that girl who looks and acts like a bimbo but is really a rootable person. They could do all kinds of fun things with her.

Have we ever seen any of Irma's kids or grandkids? That would be a good way to replace characters like Graeme, Chesney, Izzy's little sister, Ryan, etc.

• Members

I hated the Teresa exit story. I don't blame Lloyd for it, but the story sucked. I wanted to bring her back in my ideas but had little idea of what to do with her. Maybe she could run the chip shop (who is running that now anyway). I would keep Lloyd but as a supporting figure, comedy with Steve. I liked him with Liz before all that was trashed and Bev Callard vanished.

I forgot about Michelle. She's such a waste of space. She can just go to be with her parents.

The Armstrongs are boring as hell. I like Izzy but she is the one the show has the least interest in. Owen is AWFUL, he's so boring, he sucks the life out of every scene. He also cheapens Eileen's character.

Ches is OK, I don't think he's as bad as some make out, but there seems to be no story for him, so I might get rid of him, unless they can figure something out.

We haven't seen or heard anything about Irma in many years. Her son with David died in 1970. She vanished in 1972/73 and after that the only mentions were that she was living in Canada and wasn't in touch with her family.

I think Peter and Anna are about the same age. In one sense I can't see Peter with her but in another I think that would be a nice breathing room for him. Eventually I might put him back with Leanne, but Collinson has totally destroyed that relationship and the only way they will work again IMO is a long separation.

• Members

I love your ideas Carl. I've never watched Corrie, but I have tried to get into it a couple times and I know for a fact that I hate Fiz with a passion. What a freaking headache she is. And from what I know about the show (watching some women of Corrie special on YouTube), Bet Lynch is probably my favourite character ever. Irma was the one that had that tropical wallpaper thing, right?

Anyway, I hope you do Hollyoaks and EastEnders as well. ;)

• Members

Irma was Hilda's daughter. Irma was a wonderful character, full of laughs and yet also, as the years went on, a lot of pain. She often resented her trashy parents but wasn't as different from them as she believed.

Loved Bet. She was just fantastic. One of the best characters ever. I hate how easily many dismiss her now.

• Members

They could really start with a blank slate as far as Irma's concerned, then. That would be great, but soaps almost NEVER take advantage of such a perfect situation (like ATWT never bringing on Don's daughter Christina -- she would have been a good fit for the Aaron/Ali group or the Gwen/Will group).

Bet's fabulous. Every inch of her is all woman, but she'll put a boot in your ass if need be! The Rovers team of Annie, Bet, Betty, and Hilda (with Billy, Fred, and others as well) that lasted through the 70s and early 80s is comedy gold.

• Members

The woman who played Irma also played Nellie Dingle on Emmerdale.

She left Corrie in 1968, then returned in 1970, which led to the stupid decision to kill off David and son. Then she left again around 1972, as she was ill or something. This caused them to abandon a story where she had an affair with Elsie's husband Alan. Instead that story was given to Janet, who became the show's big bitch in the early 70s and later went on to a loveless, violent marriage with Ken. She had the infamous exit where she asked him for another chance after her boyfriend dumped her. When Ken said no, he let her sleep in his bed while he slept downstairs. She took too many sleeping pills and overdosed. He found her in there the next morning, dead. The actress who played Janet said she always went around being nice to everyone because she was so loathed by the public.

There's so much you could do with Irma, and the woman who played her was in a feature late last year, posing with the other Corrie barmaids. She still looked good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That Street episode was great, harrowing, brilliant acting and writing.

The only thing I miss about Liam, besides his ass, was his relationship with Carla. They were magic. She hasn't been the same since, and this story with Peter has drained the last bit of life out of her.