Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

Ken's gay grandson James, played by William Roache's son, is returning.

http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/news/jamesroachereturns/

Since ITV only presents asexual gay men, does that mean:

a) this is a brief visit which will have nothing to do with his sexuality?

b ) he will settle down into a platonic, never seen relationship with Sean?

c) Will he be horrifically injured as soon as he arrives in Weatherfield (TROLLEY CRASH!!!!! - also "ironic", since Ken once pushed trolleys), making him paralyzed from the neck down?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't believe Graeme gave the eulogy at Ashley's funeral. Ugh. I'm glad we didn't have to suffer through that. And wow, they're really trying to make him into a heartthrob, aren't they? They changed his whole look.

Re: James returning. I didn't see a second of that storyline, but I'm still hopeful that some good might come out of his return. Of course, I'd rather they ship Sean out and have Todd just so happen to come back to Weatherfield around the same time. That reeks of "interchangeable gay syndrome," but whatever. Sean sucks.

Interesting bit there about Roy's mom showing up. But my god, I hate the way UK soap producers release statements. All of the flowery ass-kissing of the woman's career just seems so FAKE, and I've seen others do the same thing. "Oh, we are delighted to have *insert performer* join our show. He/she is a British icon, from his/her *adjective* role as *character* on *show* to his/her *adjective* role as *character* on *show*, she/he is a beloved part of our nation's fabric, and we look forward to working with her/him on *soap*."

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Thanks for the compliment Carl :D I would post more, but in New Zealand we are still seeing episodes from August last year which makes it hard to post. Thanks also for the link, as the documentary was quite interesting, although the presenter's delivery was quite stilted!

• Members

Tracey's arrival was self-conscious, smug, stilted, a bad self-parody, and a very dated knockoff of an American primetime soap.

It will probably be a big ratings grabber too.

Is Diedrick Santer now producing Corrie?

I really hated that fishnet stockings thing -- Tracey never wore those. And the show seems to have forgotten she and Peter cared about each other. Of course the show forgets a lot of things these days.

At least Kate Ford looks pretty good, so that's something.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I watched both Friday's and today's episodes and they were just such a chore to get through. What is Tracy supposed to be? I can't even consider her a villain because she's written like a clown. Literally. And to have Claire cry under the exact same circumstances in back to back episodes just made her seem weak. And the way Tracy's family just acts like she stole a twenty from Gail's purse annoys the crap out of me. "Oh you murdered someone, you're so silly. You silly goose. What will we do with you?" Huh? Ridiculous.

And the rest of the stories? Fiz I could never stand the sight of. Probably the most annoying character of all time. This John Stape story is just bizarre. "I'm a murderer, how do I get myself in these crazy hijinks?"

And though I like that Sally still gives it to Kevin, she shouldn't have a say in what Sophie wants to do. She's old enough to make her own decisions.

And Steve? "Oh my life is hell, let's do a jig?" What the hell is wrong with these characters? All cartoons.

Edited by Amello

• Members

At one time the Barlows at least stood up to Tracy when they felt she went too far. It's degrading and lazy writing to have them shrug off everything she says and does, especially since she is now non-dimensional. The show is so insecure about making sure Tracy is seen as pure evil that they have her throwing drinks on her daughter and humiliating her crippled brother, whom she was once close to not all that long ago.

The show has become so empty and also very stupid.

• Members

The upside to the Xmas episode was that it was Jonathan Harvey comedy. I know he's far too camp and OTT for some but at least I'm always guaranteed a laugh.

The Tracy stuff is just really, really bad. I was txting a friend throughout and we both couldn't get our heads around how she's going to stay as a viable character. She's never been particularly multi-faceted but she's never just been vicious to people as constantly as she has been since she came back. Even if they choose to go this route with her (prison hardened her even more blah blah blah), why are the Barlows being so weak willed about it? She nigh on abused Amy and there was barely a tut from anyone. Does Deirdre not remember the two hander they had before Tracy got sent down in which she finally saw her true colours? Ken pretty much disowned her after the murder and yet he was happy to stand in the background offering up a half-hearted monotone "Traceeeeeey" every now and then.

The Websters are fantastic which is a saving grace. I was very uncomfortable with the way the baby was being treated but I'm enjoying all of the fallout. Sally Dynevor has grown so much as an actress. In the mid-90s it would be unfathomable that she would be holding the show together as much as she is.

Rita's singing - corny but worked in a [!@#$%^&*] kind of way.

I so don't want Claire to leave. There's always been something about her I find fascinating and I'd hope that without Ashley we might be able to see more of her real character instead of crazy postnatal depression shenanigans. Sigh.

Edited by JamesF

• Members

Kate Ford suffers because there is no layering to the writing, no one to contrast to Tracy (Becky is too compromised by overexposure and bringing Tracy in to menace her doesn't change that), and nothing based on characterization. There is no way that her family would be so passive about her, and if they are being limited to try to show us how evil Tracy is, all it really does is make you realize how shallow the characters are. Everything is based on plot, plot, plot, which means storylines that could easily improve with just a little mention of the past sputter on the screen.

They also don't seem to really want to pace stories, which leaves them with claptrap like Leanne changing her mind about Nick again and again, whenever the script falls for it. How are they having the exact same conversations now that they had before the man she supposedly loves was crippled because of Nick? The only time anything ever changes is if they can fit in a Lifetime movie of the week cliche,

They don't want to touch stories that actually could progress or be different. They seem so reluctant to give Gary more than 2 minutes of airtime a week I wonder why they even decided to tell the PTSD story.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Marcus Dent is returning to marry Sean. This seems very sudden, but then the show is paced so poorly what can you expect (although all the soaps have this pacing problem now, not just Corrie). I liked Marcus quite a lot. He was adorable and played by a talented actor. I wish they would actually give him some stories, but other than weeping over being gay and miserable that doesn't happen on any of the soaps it seems. We'll see if he and Sean have a nice hug, like Paul did on his Emmerdale wedding.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3319909/Corries-Sean-Tully-to-marry-Marcus-Dent.html

• Members

I think they might just keep James with the Barlows, for their dramas -- unless he has some offcamera night with Marcus or something.

Considering how much they seem to be doing shock value storytelling they might have Tracey try to turn him.

Edited by CarlD2