Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I shudder to think of how Collinson decided to write out Ashley. But that Claire spoiler kicks ass and will make me love Claire forever.

The new studio/set thing is interesting. The new set is gonna be set up near where they did a lot of the footage for the opening titles in the 60s and 70s, so it kinda brings the show "closer to home." I wonder what will become of the damaged end of the street.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The new set should be quite an exciting development (7.7 acres! ) and its fun to speculate on what will change and what will stay the same.

I'm thinking Coronation Street itself won't change that much although the Corner Shop and the Kabin would hopefully be slightly different taking into account what happened in the Tram crash. Also perhaps the Rover's street frontage could be widened a bit so it matches the size of the interior sets better.

There's really be no need to retain the Rosamund Street Viaduct as it's only there to hide the Granada Television buildings and it's obvious that it doesn't continue behind the terraced houses. Of course for continuity purposes you could have it in the new set and just acknowledge it onscreen and explain it away as being a remnant of an old railway viaduct that was mostly pulled down when Coronation Street was built in 1902 (a bit like Weatherfield's version of the High Line in New York City lol).

They could open up the viaduct again and have a Jubilee Terrace facade on the other side as part of the set...although extending the set that far might be getting a bit too far west (I assume its west, since the Terraces are north and Underworld is south) from the Rovers and you'd really want the Rovers to be roughly in the geographical centre of the new set

Other options include having more generic locations such as street frontages (another terrace facade and/or a small street with facades of semi-detached houses) to use to cut down on location costs or a park area to represent the famous Red Rec.

• Members

I'm surprised you didn't post this bit of news. http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a293967/katherine-kelly-to-leave-coronation-street.html

Like you've said before Carl, this is probably more because Katherine Kelly is just utterly bored with her current material. Hopefully she doesn't change her mind. But I guess this will just mean more time for Graeme/Tina! :ph34r:

• Members

That Janice spoiler is so grim and unnecessary. I really wanted a positive end to the character, and have it tie into her short-term desire to be a nurse (which was a good career move for her - I loved those hospital scenes she did during her training, when she met that patient), and not have that period be for nothing.

And, I won't care for Lloyd's involvement, either. What a mess.

• Members

It's all very attention-seeking at all costs, which ultimately turns into sour milk. I don't mind grit if it's in the right place, but it just seems so false, like the bad camp joke they turned Molly's funeral into. Everything is plot plot plot and stunts, with nothing underneath. The show is kind of starting to remind me of Santer's Eastenders.

I also wonder if they're going back to Hilda Ogden's exit, except for the part which was somewhat happy (going off with Dr. Lowther).

Maybe it will be a good story, I don't know. I keep thinking about Selena's exit story from GL, which I loathed.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Maybe it will be brilliantly written and produced, but ultimately, it will be a grim exit for a character that deserves some kind of positive exit. Why must Janice been reduced to fearing for her safety? Why can't she leave on a semi-happy note? Why must everything be dark? (And I love dark stories when there in the right place, and when the show has varying shades.)

Molly's funeral was disappointing, and I lost interest. Sally running out wasn't right, and I can't help being reminded of her numerous adulterous affairs, which I wonder why Kevin doesn't mention. Also, I hated the reaction Rita got, when everyone found out she was trapped under the rubble, and no-one cared to go see if she was OK. Instead, Steve cuts in to toast to the death bed wedding! And Nick goes into the pub, leaving the old people to run across the street to get help!? Insensitive and ridiculous.