Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

Well Ben, based on some of the reactions at Digital Spy, I can only imagine that if you did not enjoy the last episodes, you a) just do not understand Corrie b ) just do not understand comedy c) are not a Northener.

It's some of the same reaction to that awful stuff where Jim held up a bank. It's just a parody. It's irony. It's comedic irony. Brilliant!

I don't believe Phil Collinson has any interest in what made Corrie special. He just steamrolls all over it for the latest stunt. And none of these stunts ever have any fallout or purpose.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, 1/3 ain't bad - I'm not a Northerner.

This story stopped being funny months ago. Nothing wrong with the premise of an accidental killer, but I don't feel this ever was about that, and instead that tagline became the running joke. John became pathetic; the story was isolated and didn't effect anyone but Fiz and Chesney - all he did was kill off guest characters that no-one cared about. What's so great about that? I can see how that final scene is ironic to the story, but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. It was unrealistic and implausible. There's no getting away from that. Sadly, it still rumbles on w/ Fiz and John not being dead. John should be dead, and Fiz should go to jail. Get rid of her. Get rid of the story. Crime doesn't pay, etc, etc.

• Members

The 60's are their real golden age. I have a soft spot for 1960-1963, as this was before the very bad decision to dump wonderful characters like Martha Longhurst and Harry and Concepta Hewitt. After this many fans would say 1975-1983 or so. More recently, the early 90's are considered slow but had some iconic characters like Raquel, and much more quiet, character-driven humor and drama. The late 90's were more action packed and sensationalistic. Then 2003-2004 is considered fantastic.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I'm partial to early 70s Corrie myself. Annie, Bet, and Betty (sometimes Billy) running the Rovers, Maggie running the Corner Shop, Rita and Mavis later coming on with the Kabin...Len, Jerry, and Ray with their activities, early Deirdre (and Blanche), Emily/Ernest, the Ogdens at their finest, etc.

• Members

I like the early 70's too, but they're seen as being a slump period, as a lot of the vets were ill or leaving. Still I think it's good until somewhere around 1974, which is still very watchable, but gets into some stuff I don't really want to see on Corrie like the story with Annie being terrorized in her home.

• Members

She looks even worse when they glam her up, or their idea of glam anyway. When she was on Doctor Who about 5 years ago she fit the role better and looked OK.

That stupid pout and pose and Farrah hair on the daughter gets on my last nerve. I wonder if someone at Corrie is a big Marcy Rylan fan.

The only thing I will say is that

I wish the soaps spent less time on ads and more on better quality...but then, at least this shows us ITV still cares. I just wish they cared more about the show beyond the stunts.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members
  • Members

Collinson has completely destroyed Carla and has badly bungled the Frank story, to the point where many fans were cheering him and trashing Maria. This story will get all kinds of hype, because Collinson gets hype no matter how bad the show is, but unless the guy who plays Frank wakes from his coma and Carla stops changing her personality based on the day of the week, then it's a waste of time.

What did you think of Michelle Collins and her bad accent?

• Members

I haven't seen her episode, yet - I'll probably watch tonight, if I remember, and will judge then.

I did read that she had trouble with the accent, but it was her idea to do the accent, as she didn't want the character to be a Londoner.