Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

Bet was an iconic character on the show off and from about 1966, 1970-1995, then a brief stint in 2002 which she left early due to exhaustion. She was wonderful, especially her sexiest, toughest days, the 70s. She was a barmaid and eventually became landlady. You can find a ton of clips and episodes with her on Youtube. Here's her go-go girl episode. 20 minutes in.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have never been big on reality tv EVER and I've never watched ANY incarnation of Big Brother... until the current edition of Celebrity Big Brother in the UK. O-M-G I LOVE IT! I love how Julie is so motherly to everyone while simultaniously stirring up [!@#$%^&*]. And I'm also stunned by exactly how much I actually like The Situation in this. blink.png

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As per Carl's request. I don't have too much to say on this show ATM, as I haven't watched for months. I find the whole show boring and repetitive. 99% of the show doesn't interest me at all. However, the Marcus/Maria story is the 1% that has intrigued me enough to start possibly watching again in some form. At first, I thought the best way to approach this would be to make Marcus bi, but now I see it's so much better like this. Marcus and Maria have chemistry, and it feels believable. I'm not sure where it's going, but I hope they do it justice. Will they be a couple in the end? Do they have longevity? Why do they have that guy, Aiden, hanging around? He seems unnecessary. Why did they push Maria and Jason together? That seems like another unnecessary complication. Probably another excuse for Eileen to scream and shout at Maria for breaking her poor Jason's heart.

What are others opinion on this story?

• Members

I think Corrie is watchable, and though this Maria / Marcus story certainly has me interested, it's the Kirsty story that keeps me tuning in day after day. I'm even liking Fiz, and I've always hated her. Honestly, if they would just get rid of the Izzy, I'd be a lot happier.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I think they pushed Jason/Maria together so there would be more chaos when she gets together with Marcus. Aiden is just a placeholder or someone who will tell Marcus he's self-loathing, or something. Aiden looks too feral but I wouldn't mind seeing him stay to replace Sean, who makes my skin crawl with his constant desperate bitchy neediness.

I heard comments about how the kiss was a letdown, or awkward, but it was supposed to be, I assume. The idea of Marcus not being an all along bisexual who was just keeping it stealth (like they did on Crossroads ten years ago) makes this more interesting to me, along with the two of them being torn up about this. Charlie Condou is also a very underrated actor (and fills out a pair of jeans like no one's business). I assume this will all end horribly and he'll return to being Sean's lapdog, but we'll see. There's a lot of story potential, years worth, for a Bob and Rose type story on Corrie, especially regarding issues like marriage or having kids. And Samia Smith is probably at her best with Condou.

The Kristy story just seems like a mix of too slow and too fast, although the actress is very talented.

I have no idea why Wendy Crozier is back just for another Ken quasi-infidelity story. At least she didn't have a child.

I still don't recognize anything about Dennis Tanner sad.pngsad.png At least I got to see Emily. The next time you hear someone say she should be fired because she's old and boring, tell them to go to hell.

Lloyd's story may be the worst paced ever.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

This is a very odd decision. Blackburn led a period of ratings decline and fan dislike at Emmerdale. While some of that wasn't his fault (Gavin Blythe started the rot) I can't remember anyone who approved of his work at Emmerdale. But Collinson has been awful, and gutted the show almost as soon as he arrived. I just hope Blackburn doesn't keep the worst and stamp out the one or two good things going on.

• Members

Since they are getting a new producer, it's time to dust off lists of which characters should go.

My list:

Sean - just pointless and awful. If you need a weak token then whip up another one. He actively kills scenes.

Paul - this character represents a hideous and offensive storyline and I don't believe viewers will ever forget or forgive.

Sunita - ruined, pointless

Karl - the failed Nick Cotton impersonator has always been worthless

Stella - pointless, sticks out like a sore thumb

Gloria - only interesting thing about her is whether she had a bad facelift

Fiz - time to say goodbye. She is OK as a supporting character, but Corrie has a million of those.

Carla's dumpy brother with the bad hair - go away.

Middle-aged Ryan - go away.

Sophie - pointless, write out until necessary for storyline

Chesney - no longer needed

Katy - never needed

Tracy - an albatross

Steve - I don't see anything left for this character. He's just plain tired.

Mary - this character worked mostly in small doses, for comedy, but I think she has reached the end.

Norris - he just seems unpleasant and superfluous

Peter - say goodbye and kiss my ass on the way out. This character needs a VERY LONG BREAK.

Nick - looks as old as his grandfather, with a tenth of the charisma. Pointless.

David - write him out until he has a story beyond making stupid faces at people

Tina - completely ruined as a viable character, nasty, drags down any scene she appears in.

Owen - a sleeping pill with a bad dye job. Forever and always pointless.

Brian - awful. A destitute man's Derek Wilton, and I was not a huge Derek fan in the first place.

• Members

I liked Mary but I just don't see the point now. She had a decent run, a few years, and they don't seem to have a role for her now.

When Collinson drained the heart out of the show and made it so vile, Norris was a big casualty. I think the character has lost most of the occasional warmth which made him less unlikeable. I also don't think Rita or Emily need him anymore, and they were the main reasons he was on the show.

The list would have been even longer but there are some deadwood supporting/comedy characters I think still fit in (Kirk, Dev).

Edited by CarlD2