Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He was good, yes. Corrie has a way of making many good actors get worse and worse - like what they have done to Kevin and Sally.

Kylie is just so cliche, oh, she's a monster, but she had a tough childhood, which we will mention every blue moon to justify her being a monster. She's also played by a forgettable actress.

• Members

These endless miserable feuds are so empty - it's just interchangeable harpies.

Phil Collinson has made Corrie one of the most soulless programs ever broadcast.

I managed to make it through the "special" Sunday episode, and aside from pointlessly regressing characters for a few minutes of drama (Todd), I was also appalled at how much casual homophobia was being thrown around, often just to try to manipulate viewers, or to be used as so-called comedy. Gail made bitterly anti-gay remarks, not just against Todd, but against all gay people, and we were supposed to chuckle.

Not one minute of anything in the episode was believable.

If you get a chance, watch the Jamie/Violet scenes. They are among the worst I've ever seen on any soap opera. The only positive is that Jamie finally had a haircut.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It was pretty damn bad. Todd's boyfriend was like a more sympathetic preppie from Dobie Gillis. Todd himself was weak and sniveling, ashamed of his family, and only made up with his mother after his boyfriend ordered him to and Jason almost throttled him. They clearly just made Todd so weak so he could have a reconciliation with his mother, but the question is why that was necessary, since they were never on bad terms in the first place.

Truly one of the most bizarre pieces of TV you will ever get to see.

I won't even get into how Marcus returned out of nowhere, solely to make puppy dog eyes at Sean and try to chase him down, even though he'd previous gotten the hell away from Sean because Sean was a jealous control freak.

• Members

I was really surprised to read about the bitter anti-royal rants on tonight's episodes, with someone even smashing a plate of the Windsors in anger.

Say what you will about the Windsors or the monarchy, but Corrie has always had a long and happy relationship with them. Now the show is apparently so full of bitterness and bile that they need to go to this extreme just to prove it.

Collinson has ruined anything that made Corrie unique.

• Members

If this were Brookside, then I would say, sure, but nothing is realistic about Corrie. To suddenly have all this hostility about the royals, to the point of smashing plates of them, seems more like the agenda of a writer, than any attempt at realism. It doesn't help that everything on Corrie now is so nasty. There is no humor unless it involves deriding people, and this is the same.

Besides, if the people who do Corrie now hate the Windsors that much, then they're hypocrites for allowing Camilla to participate in the anniversary last year. I doubt the people in working class communities liked Camilla more last year than they do this year.