Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

After seeing that scene in Roy’s between Shona and Nicola I wondered if it’s possible that they are actually fraternal twins. Annabel could have given Shona away and kept Nicola. They do appear to be the same age.

I did like Rosie saying to Pat “I want to catch up on the season finale of SVU” considering that series is about sex crimes and Pat has no doubt committed them.

Very sad about Bruno Langley being fired. I’ll really miss Todd.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4789263/coronation-street-star-bruno-langley-fired-sexual-assault-claims/

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh wow. This is sad (if true). These men in the entertainment industry seriously need help, and need to learn about consent. 

I am gonna miss Todd too. I'm now curious how they are gonna write him off. Are they gonna have Phelan murder him off too? And I am pretty sure they'll sadly toss Billy back into Sean's orbit. 

Please register in order to view this content

What does this mean for Eileen too? With no Jason or Todd, will there be any purpose for her?

• 1 month later...

Entertainment

Coronation Street star Bruno Langley blames ‘stress’ of playing gay character for sexual assaults

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Television actor Bruno Langley arrives at Manchester Magistrates Court where he is facing sexual assault charges on November 28, 2017 in Manchester, England. Langley, who appeared in the soap opera Coronation Street, is charged  with sexually assaulting two women at a Manchester music venue.  (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Television actor Bruno Langley arrives at Manchester Magistrates Court where he is facing sexual assault charges on November 28, 2017 in Manchester, England. Langley, who appeared in the soap opera Coronation Street, is charged with sexually assaulting two women at a Manchester music venue. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Coronation Street actor Bruno Langley has claimed that the stress of playing gay character Todd Grimshaw led to him sexually assaulting women.

The disgraced soap star, who was abruptly written out of Coronation Street last month in the wake of sex assault allegations, pleaded guilty to two sex assault charges in Manchester Magistrates’ Court this week. 

SPONSORED CONTENT

Langley had played Todd Grimshaw, who was one of the show’s first gay characters and had a number of on-screening same-sex romances with different men.

Mitigating in court, Langley’s solicitor claimed the stress of playing the character led Langley to assault women in a music venue on October 1.

GettyImages-150803786-650x433.jpg

Bruno Langley at Manchester Pride (Photo by Nathan Cox/Getty Images)

He said: “It was completely out of character. Something happened that night, most possibly in relation to the character he was playing.

“These two offences happened within one evening but are linked to alcohol. The result was despicable behaviour.”

A source close to the actor told The Sun: “Bruno played a high-profile gay character for 16 years…. he sometimes feels he needs to act more of a lad than he is to stop assumptions about his sexuality.”

The claims led to anger from LGBT people, who criticised Langley for using gay people as an excuse.

Langley escaped a custodial sentence, but was hit with a 12 month community order, placed on the sex offenders’ register, and ordered to pay his victims £250 each.

District Judge Mark Hadfield told him: “On that evening your conduct was quite disgraceful and degrading.

“Both of the victims would have been extremely shocked and upset as a result of your conduct.

“The fact that you were heavily intoxicated is not mitigation, it is a further aggravating feature.

“The consequences are serious for all concerned, the two victims but also for you.

“You have lost your good name and I know nothing of showbusiness but I imagine in the current climate I suspect it may be very difficult for you to gain employment in that industry in the future.”

In a statement, Langley said: “I sincerely apologise to the people involved and affected by my disgraceful behaviour on the evening of 30th September.

“I have absolutely no memory of what happened because of excessive alcohol consumption and it was for this reason that I behaved completely out of character.

“However, I take full responsibility for my actions that night.

“Since this incident I have been dealing with, and confronting some personal issues that I have never addressed, and I am also getting help for an alcohol problem, so that this does not ever happen again.”

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I'm sorry but no. 

Bruno needs to stop spouting that bulls-it as that's not an excuse for him doing what he did. For one, if he didn't wanna play Todd, he should've stepped down from Corrie his original run when the character came out. He also shouldn't've returned these past few years if he claims this was hurting his love life. 

Bruno saying this is insulting and disgusting and further show what a vile piece of trash he really is. 

• Members

Isn’t it possible he can return to the show in a year once his community order is completed? Although I guess being put on the sex offenders’ register must really put the kibosh on future acting opportunities.

Back to what’s happening onscreen: a lot of Mary is NOT a good thing. This current storyline where she’s being accused of harming her grandson is quite intolerable.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

I've gone from really loving KO's Coronation Street to really hating it. Mary and this ridiculous storyline. Anna/Phelan/Faye/Seb bs. Gary's affair. Now this nonsense with Billy and his past. The show has gone off the rails and I find myself not closely following any of the UK soaps these days. 

• Members

Kate Oates only cares about shock value and misery and unpleasantness. She manages a few good scenes and knows how to sell stories. That's what matters these days I guess.

None of the UK soaps are up to much and haven't been in a long time. I mostly stay with Emmerdale because of the characters. Corrie I can't stomach now. EE I watch but who knows why at this point. Hollyoaks is Hollyoaks, for better or worse. 

• Members

^

I haven't enjoyed Corrie in years. KO's Corrie is garbage. IDK but I enjoyed her on Emmerdale. While she did thrive on shock value, misery, and unpleasantness, I did think that she at least had the characters down pact. I don't feel that she has a grasp on Corrie's characters at all. 

EE is dreadful all around. I feel like it is gonna take a miracle to fix that show. They need to fire a lot of people and create a bunch of new, dynamic characters to recapture the magic that was once there. 

ED holds a place near and dear with my heart and like @DRW50, I only keep up with the show b/c of the characters. It is somewhat in a slump as of late. I hope things pick up come Xmas time. 

I tried with HO but I can't. Even with my sexy Duncan James on the show, I can't get into it. Too much Ste for me.