HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

One of my favorite moments of Sunday's episodes was when Jason was playing football. I sat there thinking why the hell

does Jason have his shirt on (flashback to Billy and Cane on the Y&R basketball court). And at the very moment that thought went through my mind he pulls off his short in semi slow motion. At least True Blood knows how to make it's audience happy. In season 1 Jason was so dumb it interfered with my ability to find him attractive, but this season I've learned to get over it. It's kind of hard to see the goodness in him that makes Tara love him though.

I loved Lafeyette's little speech about how he is a survivor first too. That spoke volumes about the character. I've seen people say that he is just the stereotypical funny gay character, but I don't think so at all. Layfeyette may not be a bad guy exactly, but he isn't the safe, sweet guy either.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something about this character's stupidity gets me every time. It's kinda hot. I couldn't stop laughing on Sunday's episode, watching him on the bus singing those songs he didn't know the words to just to fit in.

I can see how Tara idolized him because he seems to be quite compassionate when he wants to be- i.e. Eddie. And when you get a glimpse of that side of him, he seems really sweet and harmless.

Lafayette is pretty calculating, but I think he'll fit in well as a vampire because he understands what it means to be in service, and he understands family. But one of the things I do find entertaining about him is how many guys like him I do know, but I wouldn't call him stereotypical. Especially not for television. I haven't seen his perspective air in an honest way- heart, brains, humor, sex appeal, etc. He isn't the comic relief of the show, and that's a nice change.

• Members

There is nothing stereotypical abou Lafayette. He's one of a kind. Gotta love him.

The actor who plays Jason is a powerhouse. I mean, it's not like you have a good actor only when he/she can cry on cue or can move you. It is hard to play dumb and still come off as sympathetic. I love him, he's a riot.

Sookie, on the other hand, is a mess. I can't root for her, although they made some improvements last sunday. I actually found her less judgemental and more human. She's in her element when Bill is mad at her because she's done something wrong driven by her heart.

• Members

Good point. You'd think Sookie should be the star. After all, the "Southern Vampire" series is often called the "Sookie Stackhouse novels". But on True Blood, Jason and Lafayette and Tara have all stolen the show. It is a true ensemble, and that is part of what I love. I hope, somehow, Jason reconnects with his decency. But I guess then there would be no drama.

• Members

Lafayette was surprisingly touching. Clinging to that crocheted cover for comfort. I wonder what that is.

It is clear he is still on the hook to Eric.

I was filled with dread (a good thing), wondering what Bill's young vamp would do to Hoyt. Hoyt seemed disappointed that Bill interrupted :).

I'm so glad Tara wised up about Maryann's place, but I wonder if there won't be dire consequences for her. And what is the deal with that pig??

• Members

I think the pig was Carl. But yeah, that was too strange.

I was cheering on the inside when Lafayette was set free; and I'm certain I don't want him to become a vampire. I'm ready for him to interact more with the rest of the cast. Particularly Tara. Who I was happy to see wising up to her situation as well; and while I was an Eggs fan, I'm not anymore. He just seems dumb and not in the charming way.

Favorite scene had to be Eddie in bed with Jason. I couldn't stop laughing and the actor who plays Eddie is really entertaining for me. I hope we get to see more of him, even in ghost form.

• Members

In retrospect, I also appreciate how conscious this show is of its fandom...and how it plays with that.

For example, Eric's hair changed between seasons. So the writers incorporated that into the show (with Eric's first scenes in foils).

So, too, I notice that everything from Jason's "Bon Temps Football" t-shirt to the red Fangtasia t-shirt Sookie wore last night is available for purchase on HBO.com. That's vaguely cool...in the sense that the show is so blatantly playing with the side marketing. It is produce placement and brand extension...but it is done unapologetically.

One has a sense that the writers are winking with us through a lot of this, and I enjoy that.

• Administrator

"Sarah doesn't just whip out her pudding for anybody."

I LOL at that too. Jason is so going to hook up.

I love Jessica! Sure it helps that she's hot, but I like seeing her as the newbie vampire, who's learning how to deal with being one, and is making all these mistakes, and being insecure about her fangs.

When Sam asked Daphne to join him in the water, I was so hoping to see Ashley Jones nude. Oh well, I was a bit disappointed when she didn't. LOL

Okay, so Lafayette is not a vampire? How is he alive then after Bill and Pam fed on him? Speaking of Pam, she's kinda sexy.

• Members

Leave it to Sookie to jump out of the car in the middle of nowhere because Bill had not been <gasp> kind with his words -- it doesn't matter that she was wrong all along. That girl is so stupid. Anyway, I liked her sparring with Eric (although I'd much rather see him with Lafayette) and the fact that she used her powers to help Lafayette.

Toups, you're right, Pam is sexy and she's got such charisma. I've loved her since Season 1, when she was the only vampire wearing sun glasses (duh?).

I'm so glad that Lafayette is not a vampire... yet.

Archived